Any ideas about cars??

John Morrison

The top picture is most likely a variant of the Caterham Suoer 7, it's quite modern from the registration number, based on the Lotus 7. Actually the air intake is not in the normal place so it's either modified or a different manufacturer working along the same lines.

The second one is a pretty historic car, an Alvis 12/50 200 mile racer, there is already a picture of it on Alamy here. In your picture it's sprouted lights and has a red Alvis badge on the radiator. Similar cars are sporting number 2 & 3 in this film I think (the same car?). Those were the days.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/record-speed-in-200-mile-lt-car-race

Edited by Harry Harrison

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I try not to make a habit of photographing things I know nothing about, but these two shots just ‘fell into my lap’. My knowledge of cars is next to zero; any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks...

Yellow box junction in the village of Cawood, North Yorkshire, England UK Stock Photo

Cawood, North Yorkshire, England UK Stock Photo

Can see you found your answer John - in case its helpful someone suggested Google Lens to me today. Its a phone app, similar to Alamy news picture search feature. I've not yet used it, but it looks interesting :) Nice snaps, by the way !

2 hours ago, BidC said:

Can see you found your answer John - in case its helpful someone suggested Google Lens to me today. Its a phone app, similar to Alamy news picture search feature. I've not yet used it, but it looks interesting :) Nice snaps, by the way !

I think Google Lens only works on images taken on the phone with the app. No good for us stockers.

This is what your https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ says about the Super Seven:

Vehicle details

• Vehicle make: WESTFIELD
  • Date of first registration: March 2017
  • Year of manufacture: 2017
  • Cylinder capacity (cc): 2000 cc
  • CO₂Emissions: Not available
  • Fuel type: PETROL
  • Euro Status: Not available
  • Export marker: No
  • Vehicle status: Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour: RED
  • Vehicle type approval: Not available
  • Wheelplan: 2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight: Not available

Actually even in this resolution the brand name Westfield can be read on the front.

My guess: a Sport 250, but these things can be kitted out in so many ways, it's difficult to pin down without actually looking under the hood.
Anyway the engine is stated as a 2000 cc, so it's not a Hayabusa/Megabusa motorbike engine based model.
Both the Mega S2000 Honda and the Sport 250 Ford engine based models have 2000 cc. And have the same air intake. The Honda often, but not always, has a flat triangular screen in front of the intake. The S2000 can come with either windscreen, the aero or the full width one from your image. Roll bar seems to be the same: one can order any of the models on any of the cars.

wim

edit: I forgot to mention that before you decide to caption it a super seven, take a look at the Caterham-Westfield wars/courtcase about the Lotus heritage.

I would definitely keyword it a super seven though.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

I tried that Westfield registration number on a car parts website and it told me to "Please enter a valid registration number", I'll use that Gov website in the future. A friend had a Westfield though it didn't look like that exactly. It had what you might call an unforgiving driving position, he did his back in quite badly going over a bump. I'm sure they're exciting to drive, as are the Caterhams, but I would get very frustrated at not being able to see over the hedges, or even the verges, but that's probably the photographer in me.