EU Licence refunded and then repurchased for lower fee

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

On the 5th of July I had a decent sale for a licence with region EU for $179.04.

Yesterday (the last day of July) the licence was refunded and then exactly the same licence was purchased again for a lower fee $176.77

I note there have recently been some significant shifts in currency exchange rates.

Is it possible that the original sale was cancelled and then repurchased because the price is now cheaper??

Anyone else seeing the same?

Mark

41 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

On the 5th of July I had a decent sale for a licence with region EU for $179.04.

Yesterday (the last day of July) the licence was refunded and then exactly the same licence was purchased again for a lower fee $176.77

I note there have recently been some significant shifts in currency exchange rates.

Is it possible that the original sale was cancelled and then repurchased because the price is now cheaper??

Anyone else seeing the same?

Mark

I don't think it's the reason for the repurchase- Alamy has said that we don't always see the fine print of the licence- but you've just lost out to the BoJo effect. £/€ has moved about 3% down and you've lost just under that. Swings and roundabouts. Although since 2016 we've been pushed off the swing and someone's shoved a broom handle in the roundabout.

With the recent currency exchange rates dropping (£ to $) we can expect more bang for our bucks, can't we?

Allan

Same thing happened to me: same date, same refund and same purchase. For your information it's a French monthly magazine named "Salamandre". My photo appeared in their latest issue (Aug-Sep 2019). Check your image with Google Images.

Stefano

Travel Photographer

G5H5B8 _16B0551 Stefano Politi Markovina 05 July 2019 Rights Managed Country: French Speaking Countries
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 50,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 2 page spread
Start: 01 July 2019
End: 01 July 2024
Duration: 2 months. In-context online archive rights in perpetuity
$ 179.04

G5H5B8 _16B0551 Stefano Politi Markovina 30 July 2019 Rights Managed Country: French Speaking Countries
$ 176.77

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stipe said:

Same thing happened to me: same date, same refund and same purchase. For your information it's a French monthly magazine named "Salamandre". My photo appeared in their latest issue (Aug-Sep 2019). Check your image with Google Images.

Stefano

Travel Photographer

G5H5B8 _16B0551 Stefano Politi Markovina 05 July 2019 Rights Managed Country: French Speaking Countries
$ 179.04

G5H5B8 _16B0551 Stefano Politi Markovina 30 July 2019 Rights Managed Country: French Speaking Countries
$ 176.77

Thanks - that's the same licence terms as mine with same dates, so probably the same magazine. Google, Tineye and Yandex reverse image searches for my image (E4P6EA) or yours (G5H5B8)  doesn't give me any hits though. Maybe it's because I'm searching  from the UK?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

3 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Thanks - that's the same licence terms as mine with same dates, so probably the same magazine. Google, Tineye and Yandex reverse image searches for my image (E4P6EA) or yours (G5H5B8)  doesn't give me any hits though. Maybe it's because I'm searching  from the UK?

Mark

I found my image by searching with my name/last name in the last week's option and I got the link to the French magazine: 

https://www.salamandre.net/article/couleurs-culture/

Try the same with your image.

Stefano

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stipe said:

I found my image by searching with my name/last name in the last week's option and I got the link to the French magazine: 

https://www.salamandre.net/article/couleurs-culture/

Try the same with your image.

Stefano

Well found. Unfortunately my image doesn't come up when I search for my pseudo in last week's option. Maybe your article has an online version but the article mine is in doesn't.

Mark

Mark, on reading your post a thought occured to me, and a rather cynical one at that. By refunding and repurchasing your picture after 25 days or so does this mean the company now has about 70 days ( i.e. 25 plus a new 45 day window ) before it has to stump up any cash for your image. If so, how many times can it it do this?

Perhaps Alamy needs to implement a standard 14 day cooling off period after which no refunds can be given. I can't think of any other area where you can buy something, get a refund and then buy exactly the same thing a few weeks later simply because its cheaper. Not that it stops people trying, though. I work in retail and the number of times I've had to explain this to people is quite remarkable!

Maybe this is the answer. I sold an image Friday for $175. Today it was refunded and repurchased for $160. This was in the sales information. The information in bold was not in the original sales data.

ManagedCountry: Worldwide
Usage: Educational inside use
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 05 August 2019
End: 05 August 2044
Educational inside use in all formats, within a work and the relevant product family for worldwide all languages, unlimited print run, life of product.  Reference Macmillan and Alamy contract dated February 2014.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Maybe this is the answer. I sold an image Friday for $175. Today it was refunded and repurchased for $160. This was in the sales information. The information in bold was not in the original sales data.

ManagedCountry: Worldwide
Usage: Educational inside use
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 05 August 2019
End: 05 August 2044
Educational inside use in all formats, within a work and the relevant product family for worldwide all languages, unlimited print run, life of product.  Reference Macmillan and Alamy contract dated February 2014.

Betty

The licence details (as they appear in my sales report) for the refunded sale and the new sale were identical, the value was just a bit lower.  But maybe the situation is the same, the customer has a special deal that wasn't taken into account in the original licence. The details make little sense to me though... 5 years = 2 months??

Mark