Lightroom 5 transfer to Photoshop CS-5

I did not get much help, but thank you anyway.

I uninstalled my Lightroom 5 and reinstalled my

Lightroom 2 and everything is working perfect.

I wonder out loud weather Adobe produces the software so you are forced to upgrade?

I always shoot RAW, and work on the RAW file in LR5. Than I Save As a tiff and open that in CS5, where I do my spotting and then convert the tiff (8-bit) to a jpeg to submit to Alamy. This way no version compatibility is needed. 

Working in LR4 and using CS4 I have a similar problem and the solution is as Ed suggests. Right click and choose to edit in PS. That should create a TIFF that opens in PS. Unfortunately you have the extra step of deleting the TIFF when you have finished editing. I can see no reason, other than greed, that prevents Adobe doing the same as Canon with DPP which allows a seamless transfer.

Working in LR4 and using CS4 I have a similar problem and the solution is as Ed suggests. Right click and choose to edit in PS. That should create a TIFF that opens in PS. Unfortunately you have the extra step of deleting the TIFF when you have finished editing. I can see no reason, other than greed, that prevents Adobe doing the same as Canon with DPP which allows a seamless transfer.

You don't have to create a tiff. When you open a raw file in Photoshop (Edit In as you say) it is still a raw file until you save it. You can save it directly as a jpeg if you want unless you have done some editing that makes saving as jpeg impossible (such as adding layers). If you don't want to use the save as dialog, then you can use the Additonal External Editor option in Lightroom prefs and choose the same version of Photoshop as in the first section in the same dialog box which will always choose the most recent version of Photoshop installed. Then you can create and save various presets which will show up when you right click Edit In - e.g. you can set it to Save directly (rather than Save as) as JPEG, TIFF or PSD, choose a color space, bit depth etc. 

This is in addition to what Julie says which may be what the original post was about. Unfortunately the poster did not give enough detail in the first place to know what the problem actually is - are we talking raw or another file type?

I would say that Adobe are offering a range of options to suit all tastes. I can't see where greed comes in here. I like to work on my images in Photoshop and save as PSD (as a lossless format) with layers because PSD is a much more efficient file format than TIFF. Others like to work on and keep TIFFS or not. Others like JPEG.

I may be wrong, but I think that you can only get a seamless transfer from LR to PS if the RAW converter in PS is of the same era as that in LR, i.e. LR4 to PS5.

I further assume that Adobe uses this as a tool to encourage users to upgrade to the latest version of PS, as technically it should be possible ( DPP does it). However, if there is a genuine work around that uses the latest converter in LR but does not involve the creation of an unnecessary saved TIFF I withdraw that statement.

I may be wrong, but I think that you can only get a seamless transfer from LR to PS if the RAW converter in PS is of the same era as that in LR, i.e. LR4 to PS5.

I further assume that Adobe uses this as a tool to encourage users to upgrade to the latest version of PS, as technically it should be possible ( DPP does it). However, if there is a genuine work around that uses the latest converter in LR but does not involve the creation of an unnecessary saved TIFF I withdraw that statement.

OK I see what you mean. It's actually LR4 and PSCS6 not PSCS5. When I use LR4 and PSCS6, I get the compatible behaviour.

But I still have PSCS5 on my machine so I just checked out what happens when I make CS5 the additional external editor. Depending on what file type I have chosen in additional external editor, it immediately creates a new file. The default is TIFF but you can choose jpeg instead (only in the additional external editor).

I think you are going to see non-compatible behaviour if the raw converter in PS is not the same as in LR. I don't know what is in the minds of Adobe but I know they don't continue to provide backward support for earlier versions of ACR in newer versions of PS and I think that is understandable. You are not forced to upgrade as there are workarounds including dng which is always provided free. I've stuck with PSCS6 and LR4 as I do not like the subscription model and I have currently no need for the newer versions. But sticking with older versions can have disadvantages - CS5 and CS6 are way faster than CS4 with larger files because of ability to use much larger amounts of RAM (CS5) and superior graphics (CS6).

I should say I've learned a bit from checking this out. The ability to use presets in the additional external editor could be useful.

Also I think LR5 is compatible both with CS6 and the new CC version as Adobe have continued to support newer versions of ACR in PSCS6 which is unusual or probably unique in fact.

When ever I transfer images with changes from Lightroom 5

to Photoshop CS-5 it will not transfer the changes I made in Lightroom

What am I missing? Can anyone help?

bhof39@rogers.com

Here's a workaround.  Use "control-E" shortcut to move the image from LR5 to CS5.  You will get a warning that tells you that you haven't got the right plug-in, or words to that effect.  Ignore this but click on "Render using Lightroom". Lightroom will first create a tif that does include all your changes.  If you click "Open anyway" (the default) your changes will be lost.

If you don't actually make any changes in Photoshop you will have a tif file that is no longer required and you can delete it.  Otherwise, the new tif that LR creates will be the one with the Photoshop edits (I alter the name of mine by giving them the suffix "PSedt-" when I save them so I can see they have been worked on).

Hope this helps (my instruction assume that you are on a Mac - windows machines may behave slightly differently).

Chris

Archived