Controlling Sony a6500 using a computer

Bryan

Question

I've had some success with this, managed to focus and take a shot remotely, but after switching the camera off it won't re-connect to the laptop. Reading the fine print in Sony's guide I came across this

Connecting the camera to the computer
For the Remote Shooting, stabilize the camera with a tripod, etc., and then connect the camera to the computer using a USB cable.

On the camera, select MENU → [USB Connection] → [PC Remote].
Set [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] in MENU to [Off] beforehand.

Connect the camera to the computer using a USB cable.
“Connecting... ” will appear on the monitor of the camera.

I've searched the menus and the Sony Help document but can't find the command Set [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] in MENU to [Off] beforehand.

I don't possess a smartphone so this is tending towards gibberish for me, any more phone literate people able to help?

11 answers to this question

On 13/06/2019 at 03:15, Bryan said:

I've had some success with this, managed to focus and take a shot remotely, but after switching the camera off it won't re-connect to the laptop. Reading the fine print in Sony's guide I came across this

Connecting the camera to the computer
For the Remote Shooting, stabilize the camera with a tripod, etc., and then connect the camera to the computer using a USB cable.

On the camera, select MENU → [USB Connection] → [PC Remote].
Set [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] in MENU to [Off] beforehand.

Connect the camera to the computer using a USB cable.
“Connecting... ” will appear on the monitor of the camera.

I've searched the menus and the Sony Help document but can't find the command Set [Ctrl w/ Smartphone] in MENU to [Off] beforehand.

I don't possess a smartphone so this is tending towards gibberish for me, any more phone literate people able to help?

That particular command doesn't seem to be on the a6000 menu either. But I too am still just a dumb dude with a dumb phone. 😖

25 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That particular command doesn't seem to be on the a6000 menu either. But I too am still just a dumb dude with a dumb phone. 😖

It probably is in the menu of the cameras that have come out after the in camera apps have been ditched. So my RX100 mk5 doesn't have it, nor has my A7R2, but my RX100 mk6 does have it.

wim

19 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

It probably is in the menu of the cameras that have come out after the in camera apps have been ditched. So my RX100 mk5 doesn't have it, nor has my A7R2, but my RX100 mk6 does have it.

wim

Perhaps Sony has a downloadable app for that.

40 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I still miss cable releases, but I meant something like this.

Are these apps no longer available then?

The newer cameras have already done away with them.

Not for the better though - I frequently have to wrestle with the RX100 mk6 for ages to get the Wifi connection going with my phone. Usually the sun has gone down; the town lies 60 miles behind me and I have forgotten what I wanted to photograph in the first place.

Like when I was at Shibuya Crossing with only my mk6 and could not get the wifi to work for about an hour. Aaaaarrrgh. If I had known that the Sony HQ was only 5 stops from there by metro, I would have gone there and not left until someone promised to commit seppuku.

I do have a small radio remote, but not with me of course besides I like/need to see what I'm doing. And it's 2 extra items + cable in my bag/pocket. And extra batteries. And there's no hot/cold shoe on the RX of course, so there has to be some gaffer tape...

Let's stop here, the first puffs of steam are coming from my ears already. And I kid you not: at exact this same moment the Gabrieli Consort explodes from my speakers... That must be a clear sign. 😂😂

wim

• Love 1

17 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The newer cameras have already done away with them.

Not for the better though - I frequently have to wrestle with the RX100 mk6 for ages to get the Wifi connection going with my phone. Usually the sun has gone down; the town lies 60 miles behind me and I have forgotten what I wanted to photograph in the first place.

Like when I was at Shibuya Crossing with only my mk6 and could not get the wifi to work for about an hour. Aaaaarrrgh. If I had known that the Sony HQ was only 5 stops from there by metro, I would have gone there and not left until someone promised to commit seppuku.

I do have a small radio remote, but not with me of course besides I like/need to see what I'm doing. And it's 2 extra items + cable in my bag/pocket. And extra batteries. And there's no hot/cold shoe on the RX of course, so there has to be some gaffer tape...

Let's stop here, the first puffs of steam are coming from my ears already. And I kid you not: at exact this same moment the Gabrieli Consort explodes from my speakers... That must be a clear sign. 😂😂

wim

Didn't answer my question, but I enjoyed reading your post Wim 😊

44 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Didn't answer my question, but I enjoyed reading your post Wim 😊

Well the answer is that it's not in your smartphone, but in the menu of the camera. If it's not in the menu of the camera, then your camera can probably accept apps. And you can upload smart remote. And get a smartphone. And then disable.. waidaminit..

😁

wim

19 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Not been to one of those brown cafés, have you, Wim?

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not been to one of those brown cafés, have you, Wim?

No maybe just too much red meat. No mushrooms either. Not even champignons.

Hmm, where's that Neanderthal emoji?😁

wim

• Love 1

For the a6000 or the a7, I use Smart Remote with my iPad Mini.  It's a bit of a fiddle, but basically involves going to the internet connection and picking the camera as an internet connection.  The camera shows up in the Sony wireless settings and I connect with a password, then go to Imaging Edge remote program and use the menu on the camera to set for raw & jpeg.   Bit fiddly,  but works.   Won't shoot unless it has focus as I have my camera set up. 

If this is integrated into the menu of later cameras, it probably does work the same way.  Have to allow the device to select the WiFi profile for the camera and have the USB connection set up for that.  So far, doesn't automatically connect on my iPad mini, but has to be selected and scanned or set up with the password (easier for me), then the connection with the camera proceeds through the Imaging Edge Mobile application.