Looking for basic software to convert RAW to Jpeg

willn

Question

Hi folks, I'm in the process of experimenting with using Gimp software to process pics. So far it seems pretty good but it doesn't accept RAW files. Can anyone recommend some free or cheap software for simply converting a RAW image to a Jpeg please?

An internet search comes up with loads of options but I prefer to go with a personal recommendation- I don't want to download loads of junk along with it as has happened in the past.

Thanks all, Will

Edited by willn

8 answers to this question

Hi guys thanks very much for the replies, it's for a Canon 30D (yes a bit of an antique now) and a Panansonic LX7. I'll have a look on their websites and see if I can find someway to convert. Agree with what you saying Mickfly but my LX7 doesn't seem to produce very big jpegs so figuring it's better to work with the RAW's even though in some ways it defeats the object to just turn them straight into jpegs without any prior processing. 

OK, for Canon & Panasonic then perhaps consider Affinity Photo or Photoshop Elements, not free but not expensive. Affinity Photo is a one-off payment of only £37.99  at the moment,  and it looks like you can get Elements 2019 as a download for £49.99.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Take a look at Canon freeware Digital Photo Professional DPP

I used it for years before investing in Lightroom.

I also used DPP when I had Canon gear. Very good freeware.  That is until I diversified into other makes of camera then I went with PSE and then with LR.

Allan