NEX-6 Screen Protector

It looks as if I'm finally going to get around to ordering a NEX-6, and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a good -- i.e. low reflectivity -- screen protector for this camera. Do protectors for the NEX-5, 5n, 7, etc. fit the NEX-6 screen as well?

Thanks.

John, get a Vello screen protector. I had a Sony in place for a time, but it scratched up very quickly and peeled off all by itself. I don't know if I have a real opinion about reflections . . . I just play it as it lays. 

John, get a Vello screen protector. I had a Sony in place for a time, but it scratched up very quickly and peeled off all by itself. I don't know if I have a real opinion about reflections . . . I just play it as it lays. 

I realize that "low reflectivity" is a relative term. However, anything would be better than the crappy Sony protectors, unless of course you're in the market for a pocket mirror. I bought a Sony one for my NEX-3 and sold it immediately.

This is the Vello protector that comes up on Amazon.ca. If it fits the NEX-7, I imagine it fits the 6 as well (?).

Here is another one that claims to be made for the NEX-6. Anyone familiar with this brand?

That Vello is the one I have on both my NEX-6 and NEX-7: GSP-SN5. I don't see a scratch on either screen . . . and I'm not all that careful with them. 

Another item to consider for these smaller, lighter cameras is the UPstrap  http://www.upstrap-pro.com  for whatever small, light bag you're using. Using an UPstrap on my Nikons was a mixed blessing, I found. But it really is helpful on a camera bag, keeps it sitting in one place on your shoulder without you constantly making adjustments. As you may have noticed, I'm very into comfort these days.  :)

That Vello is the one I have on both my NEX-6 and NEX-7: GSP-SN5. I don't see a scratch on either screen . . . and I'm not all that careful with them. 

Another item to consider for these smaller, lighter cameras is the UPstrap  http://www.upstrap-pro.com  for whatever small, light bag you're using. Using an UPstrap on my Nikons was a mixed blessing, I found. But it really is helpful on a camera bag, keeps it sitting in one place on your shoulder without you constantly making adjustments. As you may have noticed, I'm very into comfort these days.  :)

Thanks, Ed. These straps look to be a worthwhile investment. My current camera bag strap slips off my shoulder so easily that I figure it must be made of eel skin. I'll probably go with the Vello protector for the NEX-6.

Sorry not on topic but my shoulders slope down so any shoulder bag slips off all too readily. That is why I always carry a bag with the strap across my chest and onto the shoulder on the opposite side to the bag itself. Mind you I sometimes end the day with a sore neck where the strap has dug in.

This is also more secure as the bag cannot be easily pulled off.

Can't help with screen protectors as I do not use them, although one was fitted by the retailer to my M9 when I bought it, but do not know the make.

Allan

I realize that "low reflectivity" is a relative term. However, anything would be better than the crappy Sony protectors, unless of course you're in the market for a pocket mirror. I bought a Sony one for my NEX-3 and sold it immediately.

This is the Vello protector that comes up on Amazon.ca. If it fits the NEX-7, I imagine it fits the 6 as well (?).

Here is another one that claims to be made for the NEX-6. Anyone familiar with this brand?

Just had a quick look at the protectors mentioned above and, although different names, they appear to be the same and appear to have shiny surfaces.

Allan

Sorry not on topic but my shoulders slope down so any shoulder bag slips off all too readily. That is why I always carry a bag with the strap across my chest and onto the shoulder on the opposite side to the bag itself. Mind you I sometimes end the day with a sore neck where the strap has dug in.

This is also more secure as the bag cannot be easily pulled off.

Can't help with screen protectors as I do not use them, although one was fitted by the retailer to my M9 when I bought it, but do not know the make.

Allan

I've never had to use a screen protector on a traditional DSLR, but the "true black" coating on the screens of the NEX cameras is very easy to scratch. I wish Sony would solve this problem before they start pumping out more new models.

I just buy GGS, Giottos, JJY, or similar (all the same) adhesive rimmed gorilla-glass covers for every camera I intend to use. They do not scratch, they are as clear as the original screen, and so far they've lasted - for ever. About $10 per camera. I have also removed one after some time fitted (one with a wrong design for a light sensor,  replaced by a later model made for the purpose - it can take a few weeks for each new laser-cut design to appear, which is too long for me, an exposed screen without protector can be damaged in hours).

David, I have half a memory of you once posting a way to remove the scratched screen from one of the early NEX bodies. My NEX-3 screen is a hopeless mess. Ah, I remember now: I didn't read that post, but someone referred to it. Can I actually remove the original Sony screen and replace it with . . . something better? 

I just buy GGS, Giottos, JJY, or similar (all the same) adhesive rimmed gorilla-glass covers for every camera I intend to use. They do not scratch, they are as clear as the original screen, and so far they've lasted - for ever. About $10 per camera. I have also removed one after some time fitted (one with a wrong design for a light sensor,  replaced by a later model made for the purpose - it can take a few weeks for each new laser-cut design to appear, which is too long for me, an exposed screen without protector can be damaged in hours).

I came across this GGS protector, which is supposedly for the NEX-6. The price is certainly right. Could be knock-off, though. I have a GGS clip-on screen protector for my NEX-3 but prefer to use a small folding hood made by JJC. The hood provides adequate protection and actually blocks bright light quite well. It wouldn't fit the NEX-6, though, because the NEX-6's screen is flush with the camera body.

I have a Sony PCK-LM1EA "LCD protective sheet" on both my NEX-3 and 7. Works for me. AFAIK all NEX cameras have the same rear LCD screen so it should fit on the 6.

I had the overpriced Sony, plastic clip-on protector on my NEX-3 for a while. It was awful. It sounds as if the adhesive version must be a lot better.

• 1 month later...

I have a Sony PCK-LM1EA "LCD protective sheet" on both my NEX-3 and 7. Works for me. AFAIK all NEX cameras have the same rear LCD screen so it should fit on the 6.

Just wondering, how do you find the glare with the Sony PCK-LM1EA protector -- i.e. does it increase glare very much?

Here's the link my 2011 article on replacing the NEX LCD outer layer with solid glass -

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/04/18/replacing-nex-lcd-cover-glass/

I use these GGS type Gorilla Glass surfaces on all my cameras, RX100 included.

Thanks a lot, David.  I just noticed that you answered my question here.  I got my NEX-3 at the same time you got your 5.  The screen is a mess.  I need to get a protector for the RX10 screen too. 

Just wondering, how do you find the glare with the Sony PCK-LM1EA protector -- i.e. does it increase glare very much?

It does add some glare but not so much that it bothers me. With the Nex-7 I use the EVF 99% of the time though.

It does add some glare but not so much that it bothers me. With the Nex-7 I use the EVF 99% of the time though.

Thanks, Niels, I have a NEX-6 body on order, so I'll be looking for a screen protector soon. I bought a plastic, clip-on Sony-brand protector for my NEX-3. It basically turned the screen into a mirror, so I sold it immediately. Not sure I want to go the Sony route again. But I have read good reviews of the PCK-LM1EA elsewhere. I like the tilting screen feature a lot and will probably use it quite often on the NEX-6, so I want a decent protector.

Bought a cheap plastic film stick on thing for mine. So far so good. Hardly ever use the rear screen, so reflections not too much of a problem in any event, but it's quite usable. Sorry can't recall the brand.

Edit just found the order info Expert Shield 

I would like to get an eye cup for the EVF however, very occasionally strong side light makes it difficult to use.

Bought a cheap plastic film stick on thing for mine. So far so good. Hardly ever use the rear screen, so reflections not too much of a problem in any event, but it's quite usable. Sorry can't recall the brand.

Edit just found the order info Expert Shield 

I would like to get an eye cup for the EVF however, very occasionally strong side light makes it difficult to use.

In Canada, the NEX-6 supposedly ships with an eye cup (see link below -- "In the Box" list on the right). My NEX-6 is still on back order, so I can't verify this, though. Perhaps you should contact Sony if you didn't get an eye cup in the box. I've become quite addicted to composing with a screen. Going back to using a viewfinder might actually take some getting used to.

http://store.sony.ca/alpha-nex6-camera-body-zid31-NEX6B/cat-31-catid-All-Alpha-NEX-6-Cameras?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

BTW, I paid the "Black Friday" price of $550 CAN (not sure what that is in GBP) for the NEX-6 body. I see it's back up to $700 now.

BTW, I paid the "Black Friday" price of $550 CAN (not sure what that is in GBP) for the NEX-6 body. I see it's back up to $700 now.

Very good deal methinks!

It's possible that my NEX 6 came with an eyepiece, lost soon after purchase without my realising it!

If I get another I'll glue it into place.

Very good deal methinks!

It's possible that my NEX 6 came with an eyepiece, lost soon after purchase without my realising it!

If I get another I'll glue it into place.

If you glued it to your eye instead, there would be less chance of losing it. B)

If you glued it to your eye instead, there would be less chance of losing it. B)

Just found that the replacement cost is £25 delivered. Complete rip off, will try to find an alternative solution. Recommend that you attach yours with a chain.

Just found that the replacement cost is £25 delivered. Complete rip off, will try to find an alternative solution. Recommend that you attach yours with a chain.

Sorry to hear that. Sony accessories tend to be a ripoff. It's really bad in Canada. The same Sony screen protector that goes for $12 in the USA is $22 north of the border.

Am currently searching for a chain on e-bay.

Archived