Current state of autumn colours - Scotland/ Lake District

Morning all

I'll be in the UK as of 15th October. First part will be dedicated to around Skye until the Saturday and then down to the Lakes for a couple of days.

Wondering what the colours in the trees are looking like at the moment in each area. 

I ask as here in France it seems a mixed bag. Some trees have some colour and some have completely lost their leaves.

Anyone?

Thanks

Jools

I was in Perthshire in central Scotland yesterday and some of the trees are at the yellowy stage at the tops but many are still green - about 10 days to a fortnight they should be good.

I took this one which has sold (reference to the other thread re leaves and autumn coloured trees etc) on 24 October last year

CM865G.jpg

Enjoy your trip!

Lynne

The Lake District's quota for photographers is full till the end of the year, when qualified snappers can tender for the 'daffodil concession' of Spring 2014...

John, how did I know you would try and fob me off;) Come you, what's it doing up there?

The Lake District's quota for photographers is full till the end of the year, when qualified snappers can tender for the 'daffodil concession' of Spring 2014...

John, how did I know you would try and fob me off;) Come you, what's it doing up there?

Happy to be predictable... :P

For the best Cumbrian colour, I'd say two more weeks...

Thanks John :D

I "may" just get it then. Will be in the Lakes as of Saturday 19 october. Hopefully the weather will be kind. Last time I was there in May I had a gorgeous morning and managed to get three of the lakes perfectly still and mirror like:)

Across the Minch from Skye in the Outer Hebrides the few trees we have are turning (especially Horse-Chestnut), perhaps another week or so before the other colours start to shout out a bit. I'm passing through Skye on Thursday next week, if I can remember I’ll let you know how things are progressing.

I'm a bit jealous that you are based in France, the best autumn colours I've seen in recent years were in the Rhone Alps around Annecy at about this time last year.

Paul 

Jealous? Why!

France is a very wide and varied country. And therein lies the problem. It takes ages to get to places, so at times it's easier to just fly.

At least in the UK a lot of places can be got to in reasonable driving times.

Just chesnuts turning right now in the Borders. But we can get very little change until November here, and sometimes, we don't get good autumn colours before the weather moves in and gives us no colours - blowing the leaves off when they are still slightly green. Took a drive yesterday past this location and it's still just all green just one or two poplar leaves going yellow.

D07GTW.jpg

This goes back to 2004 and was October 24th.

I was in Deeside and that area of the Cairngorms National Park last week mainly to capture some autumn colours. I was a bit early although colours are changing but a bit patchy. I expect the current plunge of cold air from the north and some expected frosts will help as long as the gale force winds don't blow away the leaves! Good luck and enjoy.

Jim.

Thanks for that Jim! 

I'll be there as from Tuesday so fingers crossed I get some decent weather. The first part of my trip is concentrating on Skye. That is mostly for the scenery and not autumn colour. However, the second half in the Lakes is primarily to see if I can get any colours in the trees. That's another 9 days away so fingers crossed things will have turned a little

Archived