Picture feedback

willn

Question

Evening all, I was hoping to ask for some feedback on a particular photo and whether it is likely to pass QC - it's out of focus which I think adds drama but I need an objective view point.

I'm not sure which category it should go in and how I can upload a pic to this forum. Any advise please?

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, willn said:

Evening all, I was hoping to ask for some feedback on a particular photo and whether it is likely to pass QC - it's out of focus which I think adds drama but I need an objective view point.

I'm not sure which category it should go in and how I can upload a pic to this forum. Any advise please?

I usually upload to Dropbox and share a link. Post a full size image otherwise people can’t tell much. Usually OOF images need some critical part in focus. For instance, I’ve seen an image of someone placing a hand on a window, arm stretched out so the person is very OOF but the hand is in perfect focus. If the whole image is out of focus there’s a good chance of a fail.

I have seen those sweeping shots of a stand of birches where everything is OOF due to the motion, and that passed. But it looks very deliberate and artistic, and I think QC understands those.  I’m not sure I’d even call those out of focus, but rather “motion blur” effect.

I understand your caution, and that’s good.

Betty

12 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Except that I recall being told (in an Alamy responses) that the good folk at QC pay no heed to file names...

They do not look at metadata. (Which is not entirely correct.)

The rest we do not know.

wim

Hi WillN,

In the past I tried to submit some of them among other photographs that were more "standard", and they got rejected as soft and lacking definition or something like that.

Recently I submitted two of them, just by themselves (Like the one below) and put the name Defocused view of an outdoor marquee, in the submission title.

So as to show that it was deliberate and not a focus mistake.

They did pass without any trouble.

Maybe that is the way to do it?

Have a good day,

Regis

defocused-marquee-with-lights-in-the-eve