Small bird ID help please.

chilker

Question

I'm wondering if there are any ornithologists out there who might know the name of this bird. I took this photo of it inside the Royal Palace grounds in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and haven't had luck figuring out what kind of bird it is.

I'm not too knowledgeable about birds, so I'm not even sure of what family of birds it might be a member of.

If anyone has an idea, I would much appreciate the help.

Thank you!

small-bird-on-a-manicured-bush-inside-th

11 answers to this question

Thanks everyone for the input. I've tried searching Wikipedia's list of birds in Cambodia, and many other such lists online, but as they don't always show both sexes or adolescents, it's hard to get an exact ID on this bird. I appreciate the help, and will update the information using our best guess (while making it clear that it's not 100% confirmed). Is that the best practice?

15 hours ago, chilker said:

Thanks everyone for the input. I've tried searching Wikipedia's list of birds in Cambodia, and many other such lists online, but as they don't always show both sexes or adolescents, it's hard to get an exact ID on this bird. I appreciate the help, and will update the information using our best guess (while making it clear that it's not 100% confirmed). Is that the best practice?

Usually if you're not sure, you don't say. Unfortunately that means it probably won't sell. Failing that, put the name in the tags but not in the caption so it doesn't show on the page. What you have may be the best you can do.

To be honest, if I couldn't identify the main subject of the image I probably wouldn't use it.

Edited by spacecadet

It can't do any harm putting it on sale - without identification it probably won't sell, but some expert in Cambodian birds might do a search for 'Cambodian birds'  and recognise it - you never know.
Main thing is don't put the wrong name. There are far too many incorrectly captioned wildlife pics on Alamy already  - some of them spectacularly wrong.

Spacecadet and Phil, thank you very much for the feedback and caution about mis-captioned wildlife. I appreciate it. I'm still fairly new here, so I appreciate advice from veterans. Tt looks like I've had an account for a long time, but I only had my original 3-picture test upload until 2 months ago. I'm trying to do this right and thank you for your help!

Bhandol, thank you! That indeed looks like it! Were you already familiar with the bird, or did you find it somewhere? I see now that it is on Wikipedia's list of Birds of Cambodia, but I guess I missed it. Do you have another reference source that you use?

I also think it's interesting that it was previously classed as a member of the thrush family Turdidae, but now it's not. So a lot of you were close in stating it was probably a thrush. Thank you all for the help. What a wonderful forum of helpful people.