I feel am probably ready for some critique :)

chris_rabe

Well, I now have over 1200 images up, so happy to ask for some critique at this point.

As I am still making my way through backlog, things often appear in chunks in my port. Still have thousands of images to sort - looking forward to flowers the least 😕

Some things I am aware I have really large chunks of that could hurt CTR, e.g. Brexit protest, but am willing to take the hit on things like that. 

Edit: forgot to put link

My port

Edited by chris_rabe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris. I am new myself, to the site, not to photography. Looks like you got pretty decent animal, landscape, and nature shots. Honestly, I don't know how these do on here, as I've just joined. Quality wise they seem fine to me, good colors and exposure.

One thing I've read around the site is to be as descriptive as possible in the caption. I know you have a wood duck image. You could probably caption is more specifically as Male/Female Mandarin Wood Duck standing by pond on a sunny day. Anything that helps describe the settings. And add some of these as tags as well, pond, sunny day, colorful, etc.

I've been adding as many relevant tags as I could think of, and hopefully that's a good thing. Good luck!

On 25/04/2019 at 09:54, chris_rabe said:

Well, I now have over 1200 images up, so happy to ask for some critique at this point.

As I am still making my way through backlog, things often appear in chunks in my port. Still have thousands of images to sort - looking forward to flowers the least 😕

Some things I am aware I have really large chunks of that could hurt CTR, e.g. Brexit protest, but am willing to take the hit on things like that. 

Edit: forgot to put link

My port

Hi Chris,

You need to remove the link to Shutterstock. No need for any link really, people can just click on the blue number in the panel on  the left of your initial post.

Wildlife a very competitive field (not unlike most things these days!). Don't go there myself but suspect that you need to have outstanding images in order to sell consistently. To my untrained eye some of your shots are from quite a distance with the subject quite small, while it is useful to have context, it's probably better to go for the subject occupying more of the frame. Not sure that creatures taken from behind e.g. T0KD1F or partially hidden e.g. T0KCXD and T0KD48 are going to do well. Always a balance between making something available on the off chance of a sale but maybe damaging your CTR.

That said you do have some good looking images, presumably you have made some sales?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2019 at 10:48, Sheila Child said:

Hi Chris,

I clicked on the link you provided and it went straight to a Shutterstock sign up page.  Is that right?

Sheila

On 11/05/2019 at 10:58, Joseph Clemson said:

Hi Chris,

You need to remove the link to Shutterstock. No need for any link really, people can just click on the blue number in the panel on  the left of your initial post.

Oh My! I don't know how I managed that! Been away to Costa Rica for nearly three weeks, hence delay here - but link updated!

On 09/05/2019 at 20:40, AlexG said:

Hi Chris. I am new myself, to the site, not to photography. Looks like you got pretty decent animal, landscape, and nature shots. Honestly, I don't know how these do on here, as I've just joined. Quality wise they seem fine to me, good colors and exposure.

One thing I've read around the site is to be as descriptive as possible in the caption. I know you have a wood duck image. You could probably caption is more specifically as Male/Female Mandarin Wood Duck standing by pond on a sunny day. Anything that helps describe the settings. And add some of these as tags as well, pond, sunny day, colorful, etc.

I've been adding as many relevant tags as I could think of, and hopefully that's a good thing. Good luck!

You are right, some of my descriptions could be a bit better!

On 12/05/2019 at 08:33, Bryan said:

Wildlife a very competitive field (not unlike most things these days!). Don't go there myself but suspect that you need to have outstanding images in order to sell consistently. To my untrained eye some of your shots are from quite a distance with the subject quite small, while it is useful to have context, it's probably better to go for the subject occupying more of the frame. Not sure that creatures taken from behind e.g. T0KD1F or partially hidden e.g. T0KCXD and T0KD48 are going to do well. Always a balance between making something available on the off chance of a sale but maybe damaging your CTR.

That said you do have some good looking images, presumably you have made some sales?

I think you are right about some of those hidden/back images. I'll consider that type of thing more carefully in future.

On the subject of distant subjects, it's largely intentional - I will get/upload more close-up, but have found most images are like that already. I have had sales, but nothing wildlife here on Alamy - hardly any of those sales are of close-up portraits. Hell , the one most recent is a Marsh harrier filling only a tiny portion of the image - this one specifically:

Marsh harrier (Circus aeruginosus)

It's a personal choice thing, but I will be pushing a  few more portrait type images.

On 22/05/2019 at 04:29, Johnnie5 said:

This one is a head scratcher for me,

The hydro-electric dam above Pitlochry in Perthshire, Scotland - Stock Image

Head scratcher in what way?

It's the dam at Pitlochry on a foggy morning. I'm not sure if somebody would want such an image, but if they did, it's there :D