Forget discoverability. Adding keywords just to get you bar green will clobber your CTR. Just keyword with the W's (who what why where when) and any other directly relevant keywords (such as ages and ethnicity of people). if you stuff with keywords you will get more views, but if those keywords are not relevant then you will get fewer zooms, so your ratio of clicks to views will plummet, and your ranking with it. Some of my my images have lots of keywords (such as photos of my kids where I have "six yr old", "six year old", "six yrs old"...) others have just a few. The caption is of primary importance and should completely describe the image, remembering that this is not an arty site like flickr or 500px, so cute or humourous caption will get you nowhere. Look at the regular contributors here and have a look at how they do their captions and keywords. 

That's really very hard to understand.
Suppose a customer is looking for a house in the snow. 
And there are (e.g.) 100 pictures with a house in the snow.
All 100 pictures have the same keywords "house, snow, white, cold and winter", none others.
If the customer now zooms 3 of the 100 images and 97 doesn't, then the 3 images were more interesting than the other 97.

But it wouldn't make sense to change the keywords. 
Really very difficult to understand, especially because alamy also confuses the contributor with the color bar.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

2 hours ago, spiegel said:

That's really very hard to understand.
Suppose a customer is looking for a house in the snow. 
And there are (e.g.) 100 pictures with a house in the snow.
All 100 pictures have the same keywords "house, snow, white, cold and winter", none others.
If the customer now zooms 3 of the 100 images and 97 doesn't, then the 3 images were more interesting than the other 97.

But it wouldn't make sense to change the keywords. 
Really very difficult to understand, especially because alamy also confuses the contributor with the color bar.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Worse still, if (hypothetically*) a lot of pics have wrong keywords like 'house' and 'snow' when there isn't a house and/or there isn't snow, then only a fraction of the pics on e.g. the first page are relevant, and if only one page is looked at (which happens), the buyer sees a limited choice, and some more relevant pics don't get seen.

*That may not be at all relevant for house and snow, but I've seen several searches where over half of the top 100 are not relevant for a search, and others which are relevant aren't on the first page, and with the diversity algorithm, many relevant pics may be right at the end of a search and never seen. Depending on the algorithm at the time, 'relevant' can return much better results than the default 'creative' sort, but not always.

Curiously, the default creative sort for African Wild Dog is surprisingly clean on the front page, only one hyaena on a quick shuftie, - but with the abovementioned diversity algorithm, one person has three peacocks and a parrot on that search front page! Presumably a super-high Rank.

42 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Worse still, if (hypothetically*) a lot of pics have wrong keywords like 'house' and 'snow' when there isn't a house and/or there isn't snow, then only a fraction of the pics on e.g. the first page are relevant, and if only one page is looked at (which happens), the buyer sees a limited choice, and some more relevant pics don't get seen.

*That may not be at all relevant for house and snow, but I've seen several searches where over half of the top 100 are not relevant for a search, and others which are relevant aren't on the first page, and with the diversity algorithm, many relevant pics may be right at the end of a search and never seen. Depending on the algorithm at the time, 'relevant' can return much better results than the default 'creative' sort, but not always.

Curiously, the default creative sort for African Wild Dog is surprisingly clean on the front page, only one hyaena on a quick shuftie, - but with the abovementioned diversity algorithm, one person has three peacocks and a parrot on that search front page! Presumably a super-high Rank.

I run into that problem with several of my photographs - they are taken at a local white horse, and of course, have no relevance to actual living breathing horses, but are keyworded accurately.  I also have some film prop replica model things - which have appeared in searches of films.  Again they are keyworded accurately.

3 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I run into that problem with several of my photographs - they are taken at a local white horse, and of course, have no relevance to actual living breathing horses, but are keyworded accurately.  I also have some film prop replica model things - which have appeared in searches of films.  Again they are keyworded accurately.

Yes, that's a real issue which we can't, at present, do anything about (like the search returning combos of any keyword or word in the caption with any other keyword or text in caption, often above the real keyword phrase (maybe because of the diversity algorithm spreading out instances of the real keyword phrase); but in this case, I was thinking more about careless or deliberate miskeywording.

Archived