Wrong license for a Lonely Planet cover

I was so happy to have discovered my image of Park Guell in Barcelona, Spain (G4H6RJ) was published on a front cover of the French edition of Barcelona tourist guide for Lonely Planet that I ordered a copy as a souvenir. When I received I discovered the photo was credited to someone else and to another stock photo agency. Arghhh! I wrote Alamy for asking explanations considering also the sale has not been cleared off yet, but I got the usual robot machine style answer "If you’ve not seen the sale within 6 months, then let us know and blablabla". So, I decided to write to Lonely Planet also and they replied yesterday by saying they are investigating to see what happened. It would be funny if they paid the other photographer for a not used photo! :wacko:

Stefano

Barcelona photographer

http://www.stefanopolitimarkovina.com/download/l'essentiel de barcelone 2019 lonely planet.jpg

http://www.stefanopolitimarkovina.com/download/barcelone-lp.jpg

1 hour ago, stipe said:

I was so happy to have discovered my image of Park Guell in Barcelona, Spain (G4H6RJ) was published on a front cover of the French edition of Barcelona tourist guide for Lonely Planet that I ordered a copy as a souvenir. When I received I discovered the photo was credited to someone else and to another stock photo agency. Arghhh! I wrote Alamy for asking explanations considering also the sale has not been cleared off yet, but I got the usual robot machine style answer "If you’ve not seen the sale within 6 months, then let us know and blablabla". So, I decided to write to Lonely Planet also and they replied yesterday by saying they are investigating to see what happened. It would be funny if they paid the other photographer for a not used photo! :wacko:

Stefano

Barcelona photographer

http://www.stefanopolitimarkovina.com/download/l'essentiel de barcelone 2019 lonely planet.jpg

http://www.stefanopolitimarkovina.com/download/barcelone-lp.jpg

Bummer.  Let us know what LP have to say.

6 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Presumably you're aware that misattribution is a breach of copyright in the EU, if you want to go down that route.

Thank you for let me know about it. Let see first what Lonely Planet will reply and then I will decide what to do. At the same time, Alamy didn't report yet that sale in my account which is rather strange considering the LP guide has been on regular sale for over one month already.

Lonely Planet are not naive about photography and rights. They have their own collection which they use themselves and distribute through big name agencies.

I'm assuming you have VERY CAREFULLY checked out the image? Looks very much the same shot to me right down to the people at the door

have a look at::

www.lonelyplanet.com/about/contribute

It's easy to see what has happened: the image on the English language cover is indeed the one from the caption. So LP used a different image for the French language edition, but forgot to change the caption inside.

Discover Barcelona 2019 city guide
wim

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

It's easy to see what has happened: the image on the English language cover is indeed the one from the caption. So LP used a different image for the French language edition, but forgot to change the caption inside.

Discover Barcelona 2019 city guide
wim

Speechless. No wonder why LP are doing more and more bad in terms of sales! 

• 1 month later...

After 2 months trying repeatedly to know why my photo published in the front cover of a Lonely Planet guide which came out in October (with wrong author), I got an answer from Lonely Planet France last week:

Dear Stefano,

I come back to you about the mistake of copyright for the french guide Lonely Planet - Essentiel de Barcelone. Firstly, excuse us for this error.
I confirm that I send the bill for the picture to XXXX/Alamy today. And I modified the copyright with your name for the next reprint.
Everything should be fine in the next few days.

Best wishes,

Finally, today the sale popped up in my account and this really sounded like a happy end until I discovered the details for the license were WRONG as they reported placement: inside instead of front cover!!!!! The story then is not over yet!

G4H6RJ _16A9465 Stefano Politi Markovina 18 December 2018 Rights Managed

Usage: Editorial
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 5,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 November 2018
End: 01 November 2023
Bulk Discount, Flat Rate

Archived