I just used FTP (FileZilla) for the first time ever to upload a batch of images, and they haven't appeared in AIM yet. Is there usually a delay after uploading via FTP, or did I blow it?

I've always found FileZilla to be very confusing and user-unfriendly, so I could very well have screwed things up.

23 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Usually 5-10 min max for live news. They can get busy at times. For stock I find it takes a little longer and I have waited several hours before.

Thanks. It has been almost two hours now, and they (stock) haven't shown up in AIM. I e-mailed customer services just in case...

The images have already passed QC. The Web uploader has become really slow for me, so I'll probably be using FTP from now on despite the long delay. Can anyone recommend a more user-friendly "client" than FileZiller? As mentioned, I find the interface very confusing.

11 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

I'm finding recently that uploading via ftp is way faster than the painfully slow browser method. BUT the time it takes for the images to appear takes a lot longer so there's a strange compromise to be made.

So, the Alamy FTP wouldn't be suitable for live news, news wouldn't be live after a 3 day wait.

14 hours ago, sb photos said:

So, the Alamy FTP wouldn't be suitable for live news, news wouldn't be live after a 3 day wait.

I did say that there had been some exceptional holdups lately. Live news obviously has a different back end from stock because I've used it for that and images appear within minutes.

18 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The images have already passed QC. The Web uploader has become really slow for me, so I'll probably be using FTP from now on despite the long delay. Can anyone recommend a more user-friendly "client" than FileZiller? As mentioned, I find the interface very confusing.

I can't recommend any others but there are a few about. Google ftp freeware.

Yes, FZ can be a bit opaque with the two panes. I have mine set up so that the left pane (local site) opens directly into the folder to which I export my jpegs and the right pane (remote site) opens up directly in to the /stock folder and I can drag my source folder straight into the pane. I think this requires a short parameter script but unfortunately I can't remember how I did it.

Alternativel, I've just found out that you can right-click on a source folder and select "upload".

Got it.

https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Site_Manager

File>site manager>advanced>default local directory (your export folder) and >default remote directory (/stock) . Set these and FZ will open as above.

There's now a separate address for live news so you need to set up a separate connection.

On 10/27/2018 at 03:45, spacecadet said:

I can't recommend any others but there are a few about. Google ftp freeware.

Yes, FZ can be a bit opaque with the two panes. I have mine set up so that the left pane (local site) opens directly into the folder to which I export my jpegs and the right pane (remote site) opens up directly in to the /stock folder and I can drag my source folder straight into the pane. I think this requires a short parameter script but unfortunately I can't remember how I did it.

Alternativel, I've just found out that you can right-click on a source folder and select "upload".

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to delve further into the mysterious of FZ. After all the images in my recent batch were sent, they all started uploading again; and I couldn't figure out how to stop the overwriting process or close the program. I ended up having to restart my computer. Slightly annoying...

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

After all the images in my recent batch were sent, they all started uploading again; and I couldn't figure out how to stop the overwriting process or close the program. I ended up having to restart my computer. Slightly annoying...

I've never had anything like that. FZ always behaves itself, opens and closes as directed.

On 27/10/2018 at 11:11, spacecadet said:

I did say that there had been some exceptional holdups lately. Live news obviously has a different back end from stock because I've used it for that and images appear within minutes.

Thanks. Will use FTP next time. I did use FTP via FZ for my very first Alamy upload, was a disaster. Now settled into using Transmit elswere, a Mac FTP client. Used to use it years ago so went back to it.

On 10/28/2018 at 10:49, spacecadet said:

I've never had anything like that. FZ always behaves itself, opens and closes as directed.

Well, it happened again. I uploaded 14 images today. I left FZ alone to do its job, and sure enough when I checked back, the images were transferring all over again. I now have 27 images awaiting QC and no way (apparently) of deleting the repeats in AIM. Have e-mailed CS about it. I guess FZ and I are destined not to get along. This is too bad as it looked like the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Archived