Clarification on no releases and editorial only

Having read a few bits I am just seeking some clarification on how I need to mark some of my images - in case I am needlessly limiting some.

When I have people and/or property in an image I have been listing it as royalty-free, no releases, editorial only.   Others seem to list theirs as rights managed, no releases without ticking the editorial only box.

So if does anyone know where you do and do not need to tick the editorial only box?  If I have it clearly marked no releases do I still have to tick it?  Or do I have to tick it if I am going royalty free but not rights managed even with no releases?

Any recommendations as to the best way to go also appreciated.

All mine are RIGHTS MANAGED

People and/or property in image =YES

Releases                                          = NO

Editorial only box = NOT ticked

Allan

As much as the responses of contributors, from whom you will likely get a varied range of replies, depending on how risk averse they are, I would quite like a clear response on this from Alamy. I'm sure they have in the past encouraged contributors not to limit their images unnecessarily, but I don't know of any clear guideline from them when the 'editorial only box should or should not be ticked when there are people or property in the image and the 'no releases' box is ticked. 

19 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

As much as the responses of contributors, from whom you will likely get a varied range of replies, depending on how risk averse they are, I would quite like a clear response on this from Alamy. I'm sure they have in the past encouraged contributors not to limit their images unnecessarily, but I don't know of any clear guideline from them when the 'editorial only box should or should not be ticked when there are people or property in the image and the 'no releases' box is ticked. 

Me too - I am totally unsure of where the line is with things like personal use and the need for releases and whether something editorial only can be used for personal use (I presume not).

For now I am going to try a few rights managed no releases and not tick editorial and see if anything happens

About the only images for which I've ticked the "editorial only" box are those of outdoor artwork  (e.g. street art) plus museum and art gallery shots where the institutions specified no commercial use, which to me is very different from editorial use. I do sometimes specify editorial use only for close-ups of logos, brand names, etc. However, Alamy has contacted me a couple of times asking me if I could remove restrictions on specific images of this type, so I now tend not to bother checking the box for them. I just indicate that I don't have releases. Have no idea if I'm doing the right thing, but no problems (touch wood) so far.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

All mine are RIGHTS MANAGED

People and/or property in image =YES

Releases                                          = NO

Editorial only box = NOT ticked

Allan

+1

Archived