file size required to upload to alamy

I have been an Alamy contributor for at least 15 years, but during Covid I did not upload any new pictures.

Recently i sent in a sample of my newest work, but it was rejected instantly. All the pictures.

I tried a new batch, with NO moody or special effect pictures. All rejected instantly.

So I gave up.

Yesterday I decided to upscale a photo in Photos -- from 15Mb Jpeg to 20 Mb Jpeg (compressed, of course, as shot in camera) -- it was accepted and no further problems...

So Alamy must have increased their minimum size limits... I can't believe tht a 6 megapixel camera (as stated by John Mitchell above) would deliver acceptable pictures since my camera is 20 megapixels (Nikon D500 and Z50) and none of my pictures (some slightly cropped) were accepted, unless I enlarged the horizontal frame size to 5000.

Please help me if I'm wrong. 

I don't want to upscale a huge batch of photos unnecessarily.

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

On 12/10/2018 at 16:35, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi all, am just wondering with a lot higher megapixel cameras available nowadays when is big too big image wise for here?  i.e., if for example you had a d850 and used at maximum pixels, even when converted to jpeg the file would be pretty huge.  I know size isn't everything so they say;) just wondering what folk to who use i.e., an 850 or 810 do, apologies in advance if this has been asked before, I think somewhere in this thread Fahd Khan has an 810 and doesn't crop just interested to know what others do. 

Thanks

Carol

I often use both D850 and D810, and submit uncropped images without any problem. However, a stitched panorama shot on a D850 is a different beast altogether . . .

Alex

On 13/03/2023 at 08:53, FriedrichvH said:

Yesterday I decided to upscale a photo in Photos -- from 15Mb Jpeg to 20 Mb Jpeg (compressed, of course, as shot in camera) -- it was accepted and no further problems...

So Alamy must have increased their minimum size limits...

Over the weekend I uploaded 105 images in two batches.  Compressed jpeg file size ranged between about 12Mb to 18Mb - all were accepted and passed QC with no problems.

Alamy's minimum size limit is 17MB uncompressed. Which equates to around 6 Megapixels. For example images above 2000 x 3000 should be fine. The compressed jpg size is irrelevant, unless very large.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I don't want to upscale a huge batch of photos unnecessarily.

You shouldn't need to upscale, and in fact shouldn't be upscaling, there must be something else going on that caused that batch to be rejected, did Alamy give a reason? A 6MP camera will (just) achieve the minimum uncompressed file size of 17MB.

On 08/10/2018 at 14:27, Starsphinx said:

I do sometimes wonder if Alamy keeps the size confusion as a possible method of weeding out non-serious potential contributors.  I know when I first looked at Alamy a couple of years ago I did not sign up because I tend to crop my images and like many, I thought the 17mb minimum referred to the compressed jpeg size and very few of my images made that. I am actually glad I was put off initially - I believe the quality of my work has improved seriously since then and I pay far more attention to requirements.

I was curious to see your images but when I clicked the number of Images I got this message....Is there a reason your images wouldn't be shown in the USA? Have you actually left Alamy?

Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term

• It’s possible that we don’t have any imagery, but check your spelling or try changing your keywords
  • If you’ve searched using an image ID, it might be that the image is not available for sale in your country or it has been removed from the collection and is no longer for sale

Paulette

19 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I was curious to see your images but when I clicked the number of Images I got this message....Is there a reason your images wouldn't be shown in the USA? Have you actually left Alamy?

Sorry, we can’t find anything for your search term

• It’s possible that we don’t have any imagery, but check your spelling or try changing your keywords
  • If you’ve searched using an image ID, it might be that the image is not available for sale in your country or it has been removed from the collection and is no longer for sale

Paulette

He/she last visited in September 2020. It's likely that person left. No pictures.