In my opinion you could only put them in RM editorial only, or RF editorial only. Not straight RM. The need for model releases is the same for RM or RF if images are used commercially.

Making something RM does not remove the possible complications of using a RM no release shot commercially. For instance a client could buy and use, for the first time a RM shot commercially, using Alamy ecommerce, without talking to Alamy.

22 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

In my opinion you could only put them in RM editorial only, or RF editorial only. Not straight RM. The need for model releases is the same for RM or RF if images are used commercially.

Making something RM does not remove the possible complications of using a RM no release shot commercially. For instance a client could buy and use, for the first time a RM shot commercially, using Alamy ecommerce, without talking to Alamy.

I respectfully disagree. IMO I have no liability if I annotate an image correctly, including release status. It lies with the publisher.

My images are annotated in the way I suggest. None has been used commercially, AFAICS, but if they are, it's not my problem.

I tend to agree with Mark (a.k.a. spacecadet). You can just make your images straight RM or RF editorial and indicate that you don't have releases. Alamy provides lots of info on releases for potential buyers. It's up to them to read it. That said, I do tick the editorial use only box occasionally with images that I want to be extra sure about.

P.S. Should say that I'm definitely not a lawyer. B)

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I respectfully disagree. IMO I have no liability if I annotate an image correctly, including release status. It lies with the publisher.

My images are annotated in the way I suggest. None has been used commercially, AFAICS, but if they are, it's not my problem.

Exactly that. Alamy have contacted me in the past to ask whether I would remove the restriction on a RM image with no releases so that the customer could purchase it at their risk. At the time I restricted a number of my images if I wasn't sure were I stood (one such image was of a high profile sports personality inside a venue). The first time they asked me I checked in triplicate that in no way would anything come back on me. Since then I've removed all restrictions and just mark releases accordingly.

15 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Exactly that. Alamy have contacted me in the past to ask whether I would remove the restriction on a RM image with no releases so that the customer could purchase it at their risk. At the time I restricted a number of my images if I wasn't sure were I stood (one such image was of a high profile sports personality inside a venue). The first time they asked me I checked in triplicate that in no way would anything come back on me. Since then I've removed all restrictions and just mark releases accordingly.

Alamy has also contacted me asking if I could remove editorial only restrictions on specific images (none of them ended up selling, though). The only time I didn't comply with their request was with a set of images where I had signed an agreement with an institution stating that my images would be used for editorial purposes only.

Archived