Hi

How many of you use Micro Four Thirds systems for your stock work? After a bit of a photography hiatus (having kids plus starting a demanding job) I got back into it a few months back. I bought Lumix GF5 as I got a really good deal on it, and I am finding it a great system as it is so small and discreet yet very good image quality (to my eyes). Now considering a GX1 as the prices are going down with the imminent release of the GX7.

How many of you use this type of system? What are your views and Lens recommendations. I am using the Kit lens 14-42X powerzoom and the 45-150 telephoto. Thinking of either the sigma 19mm prime or an olumpus 17mm prime wich allows you to do proper zone focusing.

Steve

There is not a huge difference between the GF-1 and GX1 and I have images accepted from both. I assume the GF6 is the same. It remains to be seen if the GX7 is a major step change although the ergonomonics seem on paper what should have been there in the first place. Great choice of lenses.

Watch out for chromatic aberration particularly in the Panasonic14 mm but easily correctable in DxO Optics Pro [Aperture did not cope and I rarely use Lightroom]

I really like the system and the choice it provides. Personally I could not get on with Olympus menu systems but the cameras seem pretty good too and are clearly very popular

Good luck

John

I feel Micro Four Thirds is the future for stock. I use the Lumix system and find it light to carry and using it with the 12-35 and 35-100 zoom lenses produces far superior images than I ever achieved using a Canon 5D Mk2. I had 2 GX1s but after selling them this past week I am now using a couple of GH2s. I only changed as I prefer to look through a prism. The GX7 looks promising, a bit pricey but the price should fall when the camera is more readily available. I have an unused LUMIX LVF2 for sale (this is only for use on a GX1) if any one has a spare £168 contact me.

Best wishes to all.

Brian 

I'm now using the Lumix G5 with Panasonic 14-45 mm, 45-150 mm zoom lenses, and Panasonic 45 mm Leica macro lens.

I'm happy with the results. The Panasonic 14-45mm is sharper than the 14-42mm Mk1, not sure what the new smaller 14-42 Mk2 or the tiny 14-42 power zoom are like but I know the 14-42 power zoom doesn't have a particularly good reputation. The 45mm Leica is the sharpest lens I've ever owned.

Image sharpness with the 14-45 and 45-150 on the Lumix G5 are better than I was getting on my Canon 550D with 15-85 EF-S or 55-250mm EF-S lenses. I do find the G5 a little noisier than the 550D due to the smaller sensor on the Lumix and the minimum ISO of 200. (I wish it allowed ISO 100).

Mark

I think the only thing I don't like about my Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras is taking photos of fast moving subjects.  Other than that, there's very little difference from my Canon 550D.  The smaller less heavy cameras and lenses are much more comfortable to carry around all day.  Only the the most snobby pixel peepers will find fault with the quality of the images and they usually can't take a decent photo anyway :)

I have been an Olympus user for many years and still have, and use, an E5 and a collection of 4/3 lenses.   In 2010 I bought an M4/3 E-P1 with a fixed 17mm lens and VF1 OVF, and found it to be an excellent travel and "walk about" camera. 

The only snag with the E-P1 was the lack of a VF for zoom lenses, so I bought a Panasonic G2 when they were selling them off cheap, to  see how usable the EVF was.

The EVF was a success for me, but I sold it as I missed the in-camera image stabilisation needed for my Olympus lenses, and replaced it with an E-P3 and VF2.

I have a number of M4/3 lenses which all give good enough IQ throughout their zoom range.   The only exception to this was a Panasonic 14-140 which I soon sold off because it was too soft at the long end.

A small Hadley bag with the E-P3 and 12-50 and 40-150 lenses gives excellent quality results with an equivalent focal length range of 24-300mm and weighs less than 2kg.

You will see how much more images you will create since you can easily take the camera with you. At least this counts for me. Before i had mirrorless camera i left camera because of size home and many times i missed some nice moments. Now i have the camera more often with me what means more spontanic images.

Good luck!

You will see how much more images you will create since you can easily take the camera with you. At least this counts for me. Before i had mirrorless camera i left camera because of size home and many times i missed some nice moments. Now i have the camera more often with me what means more spontanic images.

Good luck!

Yeah I totally agree with. I carry a camera with me all the time now. I have only been on Alamy just over a month, but when the search engine picks up my latest batch I will be over 250 images. Not bad going :-)

Use both Nikon D700 and Panasonic GF1.  As others said above, GF1 great to always have with you.  I only have the 20mm lens which is very sharp but lacks the flexibility I have with nikon lenses. Sold from both.  Nikon beats the GF1 for lower light.  So I use the Mikon most of the time if I know I am out taking pics, but always have the GF1 for when I might want to take photos at other times.

I use the gf3 with a 20mm 1.7.  iQ wise its perfectly acceptable to alamy.  Only issue is when you put a zoom in, it is no longer a pocket sized camera.

Pocket size doesn't worry me too much. I have 3 camera bags I use. I tiny one for just the GF5 and the 14-42 powerzoom. I use this for when I am out with the family. A slightly larger bag I use for the camera and 14-42 X Zoom and the 14-150. And a lowepro event messenger bag when I am out doing more dedicated photography and I want to take more kit with me.

I use the gf3 with a 20mm 1.7.  iQ wise its perfectly acceptable to alamy.  Only issue is when you put a zoom in, it is no longer a pocket sized camera.

I have got the Panasonic 14-42PZ zoom.   Scarcely any larger than the 20mm pancake and the IQ is very good.  Only f3.5 -5.6 though.

Archived