Should I leave this on Alamy?

MilesbeforeIsleep

PC7KGP.jpg

It was accepted in a batch by Alamy, but rejected by another agency for "inappropriate content" or some similar phrasing.  I don't know how old the young man is/was.  I did ask if I could take his pic.  Listed as RF editorial.  Was taken in Taos, NM this summer.

Did the other agency say why they rejected it?  I know Alamy only check a certain number of images in each batch so if the rejection by the other site was for something technical then yes remove it.  On the hand Alamy do not make any judgement on content whereas other agencies do - if the other agency rejected it for some artistic/composition/content reason I would leave it up - half the reason people use Alamy is that they find images they need that are not available elsewhere and taking it down for the same reasons is shooting yourself in the foot rather.

Neither do I see any reason to delete it. I also checked the largest image on Alamy.

I cannot see why the content should be inappropriate. And you asked before you took the image. If anything it is cropped very tightly, but sometimes this will be the case of various reasons.

12 minutes ago, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

Was rejected for "inappropriate content", or some equivalent wording.  I'll edit my original post to clarify that.

If it was inappropriate content I would leave it up - if the other agency has a customer look for an image like this they lose, and the customer will likely find Alamy and you will win.

Reply to

Niels Quist

Cropping is the one thing I've been least certain of, in starting stock photography.   The pic in question was only cropped a foot on the left side from my original--but, of course, I could have shot wider and taller--I was at 43mm with a 17-50 lens.

I know the rule is to leave space for text, and in many shots I do that, but it just doesn't feel right to include a "bunch of other stuff" when the subject is obvious.   Would  appreciate other comments on cropping--esp. with an image such as this.

Thanks, guys.

Michael--

1 minute ago, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

I know the rule is to leave space for text, and in many shots I do that, but it just doesn't feel right to include a "bunch of other stuff" when the subject is obvious.   Would  appreciate other comments on cropping--esp. with an image such as this.

Thanks, guys.

Michael--

Perhaps not the most obvious image to need copy space in. But always prefer to leave it to customers to crop tightly as we don't know what the image has to fit into.

But agree that there are situations where you will need to crop tightly in the camera.

Niels

1 minute ago, Niels Quist said:

Perhaps not the most obvious image to need copy space in. But always prefer to leave it to customers to crop tightly as we don't know what the image has to fit into.

But agree that there are situations where you will need to crop tightly in the camera.

Niels

Thanks, Niels.  I think I worry that the image would be less likely to be chosen because it  doesn't look as composed as it could be.  Having no knowledge of who my customer might be and what they see when they look at a stock photo is a problem.   I think I need to spend more time looking at images you guys upload.

Thanks.

Michael

Archived