Storage and backuo...

I suppose many of you have huge amounts of pictures, and I was wondering how you manage this?

I have now around 5TB of files, mostly photos, both professional and private and also plenty of files related to my day job - architecture...

I have a 500gb SSD for current projects, that is both photography and architecture. In terms of space around 75% is filled with RAW files. My lightroom catalogues are also on this disk

3TB of archive for my pictures, almost full

And then two other 1TB hard drives for pro and private documents...

And a small M.2 for operating system and all my programs...

backup on external hd’s which is far from optimal, I know...

How do you manage you terabytes of data?

I have a number, as in over six 1TB plus, drives sat under the desk as the first level of the back up, like yourself some are image orientated others for book and writing - I then use a 'work drive' for images on the PC and a separate 'work drive' in the PC or other files.    For back up the Rule is 3 - 2 - 1

3  Copies of everything ( 1 is my working drive, 2 is the onsite backup and 3 is the offsite back up)

2  Copies on different drives (as explained above)

1  Copy stored in a different location (via the internet)

Matt 

16 hours ago, Michael_Jacobs said:

Thanks Matt!

what cloud/internet solution would you suggest?

Backblaze - I have tried many and they vary from the ridiculous cost to useless ability, some will only let you backup drive that is installed in your PC!

I pay a yearly fee for unlimited offsite backup and once the small and highly effective software is set up it just runs in the background, transparently.

But be warned if you have a large image collection the initial backup can take time .... mine was over eight months!

I know everyone hates them but I use Amazon - it's under a tenner a month unlimited photographs (other file types are limited).  Admittedly their user interface is horrible and they keep messing it with  which gives me headaches but it does provide a cheap solution

1 hour ago, Matt Limb said:

???  I back up from desktop and laptop - two different backups direct Backblaze 

According to their site their pricing is per computer which I read as meaning you have to pay double for 2 computers treble for 3 etc

22 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

Backblaze - I have tried many and they vary from the ridiculous cost to useless ability, some will only let you backup drive that is installed in your PC!

I pay a yearly fee for unlimited offsite backup and once the small and highly effective software is set up it just runs in the background, transparently.

But be warned if you have a large image collection the initial backup can take time .... mine was over eight months!

Ditto - An excellent backup system - looks after itself.  My kind of software :)

1 hour ago, John Walker said:

Ditto - An excellent backup system - looks after itself.  My kind of software :)

Thanks, John, and I would agree once set up just walk away - and recently found I can access and download individual files when away from the office if need

Archived