Nikon Z6 and Z7 mirrorless FF cameras

50 minutes ago, MircoV said:

Thank you John.

Title was not clear :(.

Lets close this one.

That's OK! Your subject title is more self-explanatory actually.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered a Nikon Z7 with the new 24-70 f4 S lens.  I'll let everyone know how good or bad it is.  I have no idea when I'll receive it.  I've seen conflicting reports on how many pre-orders are being made.  I am at the head of the line (queue) because I'm an NPS member, but still.  It could be in short supply for quite a while. 

Rick

8 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

I pre-ordered a Nikon Z7 with the new 24-70 f4 S lens.  I'll let everyone know how good or bad it is.  I have no idea when I'll receive it.  I've seen conflicting reports on how many pre-orders are being made.  I am at the head of the line (queue) because I'm an NPS member, but still.  It could be in short supply for quite a while. 

Rick

Quote from Rick back in June on another thread about Nikon mirrorless

Lastly, if Nikon delivers a full frame mirrorless camera that accepts all the F mount glass, I'm still not buying.  If they produce an APS-C crop mirrorless camera with pro grade glass (new mount, smaller in size & $$) in the 24-80mm f2.8 with IBIS, with IQ that rivals Sony, and or Fuji, I'm probably in.  I love the way Nikon cameras are designed.

Until that last point happens, I'm not in the market for any more Nikons or Nikkors. 

Hey Rick - I recalled your comments from the previous thread and just wondering what made you change your mind? I've no intention of changing from my current Nikon DSLR kit (D850) as I am more than happy with what I consider to be the best DSLR ever made but like you I do really hope that Nikon succeed with these new cameras.

On 9/12/2018 at 02:41, MDM said:

Quote from Rick back in June on another thread about Nikon mirrorless

Lastly, if Nikon delivers a full frame mirrorless camera that accepts all the F mount glass, I'm still not buying.  If they produce an APS-C crop mirrorless camera with pro grade glass (new mount, smaller in size & $$) in the 24-80mm f2.8 with IBIS, with IQ that rivals Sony, and or Fuji, I'm probably in.  I love the way Nikon cameras are designed.

Until that last point happens, I'm not in the market for any more Nikons or Nikkors. 

Hey Rick - I recalled your comments from the previous thread and just wondering what made you change your mind? I've no intention of changing from my current Nikon DSLR kit (D850) as I am more than happy with what I consider to be the best DSLR ever made but like you I do really hope that Nikon succeed with these new cameras.

I did change my mind.  I will probably still use my Olympus E-M1Mk2 most of the time though.

What changed my mind was the new mount and the engineering of the new S Line lenses.  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why I pre-ordered one. :P  Partly G.A.S. & partly curiosity.  I knew that if I didn't buy one, I would probably never see one.  We don't have well stocked camera stores here for me to do an in-store demo.

I am a convert from DSLR to mirrorless so that part was easy.  I love the IBIS on my Olympus so that was a factor (although I don't believe their 5 stop stabilization claim on a 45MP sensor). I had some money left over from selling some gear so in a moment of weakness, I hit the order button.  I swear, Jack Daniels had nothing to do with it.  ;-)  

I've never owned a camera, DSLR or mirrorless, with resolution above 20MP.  I think that may have been part of the curiosity.  I'm taking bets on whether I sell it or keep it.  :D (Edit:  correction; I briefly owned a Fuji X-Pro2 w/24MP sensor.  I just did not like the hybrid viewfinder).

But you are right.  I caved.  Some of my local photog buddies here are really rubbing it in too!  But, I deserve it!  Haha

I will post back here with what I think of it.  I doubt too many full res images will be submitted though.  That little Oly goes everywhere with me and it is making me money, but you never know.

Rick

P.S. You have a great memory!!  @MDM  

Ha ha. I used to have a great memory. Not as good as it was once although it still functions. The thing nowadays is to know where to find info, not necessarily to have it at the ready. I just recalled there had been a previous conversation about Nikon mirrorless and you had not been overly keen.

High MP cameras can grow on you. I have been a high MP guy ever since the D800 in 2012 and I just love these cameras (as long as the lenses are good and your computer is fast enough). Haha  I do recall you got a new computer not too long ago so you should be fine in that department.

What I love about high MP is the incredible detail and probably most importantly for me is the ability to crop hard if I need to. One great thing  - I do a lot of portraiture (not on Alamy) and I rarely turn the camera sideways any more which gives much greater  stability with the camera on a monopod or handheld. With the 45 MP D850 I’m getting files with over 5000 pixels in the vertical dimension.

I don’t know about the in-body stabilisation as I have never had it but the new VR lenses on the D850 give amazingly sharp results handheld at much slower shutter speeds than I ever imagined possible so the numbers may not be too far out.

So I do hope you enjoy it. I won’t be going mirrorless yet but I really hope that Nikon succeed with this and subsequent cameras as no doubt I will dive in one day.

Archived