Smartphone with 48Mp sensor

As most contributors know, Alamy will not allow images taken by smartphones. I wonder when this ban will be lifted. I have a feeling that this Sony sensor could make a difference. I can imagine that based on the specification below, a 17Mb image made by this sensor in a well designes smartphone surely will pass inspection unless Alamy remain against smartphones on principle.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-releases-stacked-cmos-image-sensor-for-smartphones-with-industrys-highest-48-effective-megapixels/

Tokyo, Japan—Sony Corporation today announced the upcoming release of the IMX586 stacked CMOS image sensor for smartphone cameras. The new sensor features 48 effective megapixels*2, the industry’s highest pixel count.*1 The new product achieved a world-first*3 ultra-compact pixel size of 0.8 μm, making it possible to pack 48 effective megapixels*2 onto a 1/2-type (8.0 mm diagonal) unit, thereby supporting enhanced imaging on smartphone cameras.

More pixels potentially makes matters worse. The more pixels there are on a small sensor chip, the smaller they become and the more noisy. Are we seeing the same crazy MP spec race on phones that happened on DSLRs. More MP is not necessarily better.... Or maybe the quad bayer technique it uses makes a significant improvement?

Mark

As I learned when I first got into digital photography its not the megapixels that counts its the size of the sensor - an old canon or Nikon (or whatever) with less than 10 megapixels will produce better images than a point and shoot or smartphone with double or even treble because the DSLR has a huge sensor and the camera phone a tiny weeny one.

Also there is the question of the glass - the lens.  Exactly what sort of quality is on a smartphone?

9 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

A micro 4/3 is the smallest I'd go, and only for the pixel-shift and s-Log found on Lumix cameras (and the great video specs on the GH5s).

It is what I use......and it’s LIGHT!  Mind you... out of the six people who met yesterday for the Glasgow meet up, three people pulled Sony RX100s out of their pockets 😏

40 minutes ago, Sally said:

It is what I use......and it’s LIGHT!  Mind you... out of the six people who met yesterday for the Glasgow meet up, three people pulled Sony RX100s out of their pockets 😏

Lots of us now use one or the other version of the Sony RX100 marks. Speaking for myself I think I can honestly say I have never had a rejection from either my mark 1 or mark 3.

Allan

4 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

Doesn't Leica make "point and shoot" cameras with larger sensors? Even one with FF? These could be perfect for those who like the portability of a smartphone and need the quality of large-sensor cameras.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Compact-Cameras/Leica-D-Lux-Typ-109 has a MFT sensor. Others have APS and Full Frame sensors, but are a little larger.

Archived