Ship ID

Sally

I am wondering if there are any ship buffs around. I have tried to identify this 1960s Ocean Liner without success. The name looks like it could be the Rotterdam, but it doesn’t look like other photos of it. The port is Hamburg in 1964 or 1965

digital-conversion-of-slide-taken-in-196

9 minutes ago, Sally said:

I am wondering if there are any ship buffs around. I have tried to identify this 1960s Ocean Liner without success. The name looks like it could be the Rotterdam, but it doesn’t look like other photos of it. The port is Hamburg in 1964 or 1965

digital-conversion-of-slide-taken-in-196

looks like this one to me https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-transport-transportation-navigation-passenger-ship-hanseatic-1960s-48298153.html

2 minutes ago, MandyD said:

Brilliant. Always good to get a fresh eye. There I was bogged down in twin smoke stacks....

Thanks very much. Might be a few more of these 1960s IDs.......

Just now, Sally said:

Brilliant. Always good to get a fresh eye. There I was bogged down in twin smoke stacks....

Thanks very much. Might be a few more of these 1960s IDs.......

I reserve image search stuff all the time...I'm like, here internet, you tell me what it is...at least gives me a starting point...especially with museum pieces.

2 minutes ago, MandyD said:

I reserve image search stuff all the time...I'm like, here internet, you tell me what it is...at least gives me a starting point...especially with museum pieces.

Hmmm, I did try that but it didn’t show me anything useful. 

7 minutes ago, Sally said:

Hmmm, I did try that but it didn’t show me anything useful. 

oh well...keep posting them and I will keep trying to figure them out. I often send older stuff to my Dad...he likes these little research projects, so you are welcome to try to stump him too.

Hamburg 1964 Ocean Liner did bring up an image with the emblem on the smokestack, which further down the same article shows the Hanseatic and a story about the [Empress of] Scotland / Schrottland (Scrappland) which was to become the Hanseatic. With a link to the Wikipedia article about the Hanseatic.

Where we learn that the image must have been before 1966, because that's when she got on fire and was scrapped.

Some parts seem to have been salvaged though:

Teile der Inneneinrichtung fanden Verwendung als Ausstattung des Hamburger Kaufhofrestaurants. Ein Teil des Rumpfes dient bis heute in Cuxhaven einer Werft als Arbeitsponton.

wim

From http://www.club-ts-hamburg.eu/seiten/aktuell/termine.htm:

Sollten Sie in Hamburg sein, besuchen Sie "Dinea", das Restaurant vom Kaufhof in Hamburg. Dort steht  Glas ein Modell der Hanseatic I Das Schiffsmodell ist seit ca. 42 Jahren im Besitz der Kaufhof AG. Es wird nach wie vor aus Nostalgiegründen aufgestellt, da das Restaurant ursprünglich Hanseatic hieß.

20.11.2008-Hanseatic-1-400-.jpg

I think you have your image the wrong way round. If you look closely, I think you can see the name HANSEATIC written backwards. Also, the row of small windows on the bridge area only matches the other side of the ship in other photos.

Alan

37 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

I think you have your image the wrong way round. If you look closely, I think you can see the name HANSEATIC written backwards. Also, the row of small windows on the bridge area only matches the other side of the ship in other photos.

Alan

Here's a postcard:

2000 Hamburg 1950 Dampfer Hamburg-Atlantik Linie - Hanseatic im Hamburger Hafen AK

So you're right.

wim

edit: wow and here's yet another different postcard:

https://img.oldthing.net/15465/29927478/0/n/Schiffe-Dampfer-Schnelldampfer-Hanseatic-in-Hamburg-1966-30801.jpg

Good grief. It’s practically encyclopaedic knowledge in here. Thanks for the point about the orientation, though. I’ll have to resubmit and delete the previous one.

9 hours ago, Sally said:

Good grief. It’s practically encyclopaedic knowledge in here. Thanks for the point about the orientation, though. I’ll have to resubmit and delete the previous one.

I think I'd just leave it and have a duplicate. Someone might prefer it. You can cross-reference the two by Alamy ref.

33 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

They're all different shots, but there are so many similarities that I suspect they may all have been taken by the same photographer on the same day.

Alan

And from the same viewpoint as the one I have, taken by my father (the postcards aren’t his). Either it was a bit of a public event or just a coincidence. These history puzzles are fascinating. 

11 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I think I'd just leave it and have a duplicate. Someone might prefer it. You can cross-reference the two by Alamy ref.

OK, good idea.

26 minutes ago, Sally said:

And from the same viewpoint as the one I have, taken by my father (the postcards aren’t his). Either it was a bit of a public event or just a coincidence. These history puzzles are fascinating. 

Perhaps another photographer spotted your father taking his shot and realised it was a good viewpoint.

Alan

22 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

They're all different shots, but there are so many similarities that I suspect they may all have been taken by the same photographer on the same day.

Alan

There's even a third one, a bit different again. Here's someone with quite a collection.

Now the interesting thing is, where were Sally's father and the photographer standing? Because nowadays there's no high building opposite the quay, which is still there btw.

Almost no Google Street View in Germany but quite a lot of blue dots on Google Maps show it's still a popular spot for photography. The map even shows a little camera there.

Here's a real aerial image showing the quay and the Alster (famous body of water in Hamburg) behind and the Speicherstadt to the right.

The height of Sally's father and the photographer can easily be determined by looking at where the horizon intersects with the church towers: that's the height of the camera's viewpoint. Not all that high, but higher than all of the city's Hochhäuser (high buildings) at that moment.

It's not that likely that Sally's father climbed a harbor crane. The postcard photographer might have. There must have been some sort of viewing tower or terrace there.

The Philipsturm would qualify, but it stood at a different point.

wim

Well, I asked my Dad, but he has no recollection of where this photo was taken unfortunately. Nor of the other locations I’m searching for. It is over 50 years ago so I don’t blame him for not remembering. Not sure I could remember where I took photos from a few years ago. 

He'd probably have remembered being in a helicopter, so there goes that one.

Perhaps he was in the crow's nest.

Having a look on Google Maps in 3D, there are some cranes rather too far to the west over the river by dry dock 17. Perhaps there were others in 1964. The height of the cabins is about right.

27 minutes ago, Sally said:

Goodness. Do you think people went up that thing?  I'll show him the photos and see if it jogs his memory.

I have no idea either, but it's the only thing that's high enough and in the right place. However there are a lot of images with that thing in it, but not a whole lot shot from it. Like the postcards. There are aerial images, but they are from a higher altitude. Easily to see, if you measure the height of the horizon against the towers with a known height.

In your image we see among others:

Rathaus -  112 m
Sankt Petri -  132 Meter
St. Nikolai - 147,3 Meter

The height of the lens is the same height where the horizon intersects with those towers. It works at 2 or 3 meters above ground as well.

wim

Archived