Royalty Free Editorial Only VS Rights Managed

I know in the past that when you had unreleased people and property it automatically selected RM but with RF editorial only it seems you can go either way.  So my question is what is working best for you.  I have stayed with RM for unreleased people and property and just wondering if I should be putting more in RF editorial only.  I know that RF means they can use the photo from now on.  

Marvin

6 hours ago, Marvin McAbee said:

I know in the past that when you had unreleased people and property it automatically selected RM but with RF editorial only it seems you can go either way.  So my question is what is working best for you.  I have stayed with RM for unreleased people and property and just wondering if I should be putting more in RF editorial only.  I know that RF means they can use the photo from now on.  

Marvin

Try searching the forum - I think there have been a couple of threads on this recently.

Mark

Mark, was RF-editorial addressed in the other threads? I only remember RF. Maybe because some of those threads were mine! 😁

I’ve not done a lot of RF editorial but recently have converted some of my unsold RM to RF-editorial. It’ll take awhile to see how it goes,  but one that I converted promptly sold the other day. For peanuts...but still....

Sorry I can’t discern more, Marvin.

Betty

My best sale to date, by leaps and bounds, was for an image that was initially RF editorial. It was changed at the customer's request to RM because RF editorial precluded them from buying it. I felt suitably protected by the fact that the lack of releases was duly noted. If I should have an image with all the proper release forms signed, I'd still leave it as RM because, as in the case mentioned, the buyer might make successive purchases for multiple uses each time.

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Mark, was RF-editorial addressed in the other threads? I only remember RF. Maybe because some of those threads were mine! 😁

I’ve not done a lot of RF editorial but recently have converted some of my unsold RM to RF-editorial. It’ll take awhile to see how it goes,  but one that I converted promptly sold the other day. For peanuts...but still....

Sorry I can’t discern more, Marvin.

Betty

Thanks Betty I just wanted to keep up with the best way as it seems to have changed.  I read the licensing information on Alamy contributor section and that offered some information on the subject.  I just returned from the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and had a picture of the beach with many tourists and their umbrellas and coolers and it had many unreleased people and was in the National Seashore.  It could only be used for editorial although many business along the seashore would like to show happy tourist on the beach.  Not sure if the National Seashore would be considered a public place.  The National Park system may have their own rules for photography.

Marvin

10 hours ago, DDoug said:

My best sale to date, by leaps and bounds, was for an image that was initially RF editorial. It was changed at the customer's request to RM because RF editorial precluded them from buying it.

Did they buy exclusive rights?

That's the only reason I can think of (which isn't necessarily saying much) why they wouldn't buy RF; but might also explain why it's your best sale.

On 7/21/2018 at 23:23, Cryptoprocta said:

Did they buy exclusive rights?

That's the only reason I can think of (which isn't necessarily saying much) why they wouldn't buy RF; but might also explain why it's your best sale.

No, they didn't.  I don't doubt they would have been happy to buy RF, but it was the editorial-only aspect that excluded them.
They bought non-exclusive rights for one year for use in a television commercial, a corporate website and an in-house industrial film.
Then after the year elapsed, they renewed the contract. Total for both purchases was $3115. I don't know what it would have been if sold as RF covering all uses in perpetuity.

On 20/07/2018 at 15:18, Marvin McAbee said:

Marvin

Hi Marvin,

I havent made any change to what I do and so have almost all my images as RM, maybe 3% RF and no RF editorials. I am awaiting developments to see if I should change my methods!

Cheers

Kumar

On 7/22/2018 at 11:41, Doc said:

Hi Marvin,

I havent made any change to what I do and so have almost all my images as RM, maybe 3% RF and no RF editorials. I am awaiting developments to see if I should change my methods!

Cheers

Kumar

Same for me Kumar just staying mostly RM with a few RF.  Just wait and see if anything changes over time.

Marvin

Archived