Live News Captions

Would like some advice. Is it best for a batch of Live News photos to have the same caption, even if there are different views,  not all of which may have the same objects. I used to make the captions specific to each image, but lately have just been keeping them the same, then editing once they go into stock. What’s best, or doesn’t it matter much?

15 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Also I have noticed that some newspapers will use the exact text under the image as you have provided in the caption, so I'm guessing that making it more accurate MAY help give you a very slight advantage, as it'll save the editor time as they won't have to write out a description. That is also the reason why I generally add "in Brighton on the south coast" as well as having the location (following Alamy's requirements) at the start of the caption. If you upload and then edit the text later, it maybe too late because the newspapers will already have the original version.

Yes, that’s what I was concerned about. I suppose it depends on whether time is of the essence, as Red Snapper has suggested. 

49 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I usually pre write them, set them as an abbreviation in the app I use, then add specifics to each image before upload.

So I'll have something like this...

Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK. Saturday 24th February 2018.      on a cold but sunny day in Brighton on the south coast. Credit: Geoff Smith / Alamy Live News.

I can type just one character into the caption field, and it'll place all that text there for all images. Then I just go through each image, adding specifics to the start of the sentence after "2018". So for someone swimming I'll add, "Someone swimming in the sea.....". So it's still pretty quick to do.

Also I have noticed that some newspapers will use the exact text under the image as you have provided in the caption, so I'm guessing that making it more accurate MAY help give you a very slight advantage, as it'll save the editor time as they won't have to write out a description. That is also the reason why I generally add "in Brighton on the south coast" as well as having the location (following Alamy's requirements) at the start of the caption. If you upload and then edit the text later, it maybe too late because the newspapers will already have the original version.

Geoff.

Like Geoff I prepare in advance as much as I can and create a Stationery Pad (in PhotoMechanic) with the main event details etc. My default uses variables to create an Alamy format timeline (date & location) in both caption and headline field (I even use it for stock). For sports I set up code replacement (short codes) for competitors (and associated team & sponsor details) and classes/events. Then with a few keystrokes I can customise the metadata (caption and person shown fields especially) to what the image shows. I concentrate on my selected images first, save the metadata and then upload all from the same software. For news I usually upload before the event has completed. I may then go back to see if there is anything else happening. I would recommend PhotoMechanic if you are shooting news seriously, I use it for all my metadata, even stock,  ranking, selecting and submitting (FTP) images, I only use Capture 1 Pro for post production for stock, everything else is done in PM.

Where they feature I believe naming individuals is essential so it does mean customising captions individually or where possible as groups.

9 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Like Geoff I prepare in advance as much as I can and create a Stationery Pad (in PhotoMechanic) with the main event details etc. My default uses variables to create an Alamy format timeline (date & location) in both caption and headline field (I even use it for stock). For sports I set up code replacement (short codes) for competitors (and associated team & sponsor details) and classes/events. Then with a few keystrokes I can customise the metadata (caption and person shown fields especially) to what the image shows. I concentrate on my selected images first, save the metadata and then upload all from the same software. For news I usually upload before the event has completed. I may then go back to see if there is anything else happening. I would recommend PhotoMechanic if you are shooting news seriously, I use it for all my metadata, even stock,  ranking, selecting and submitting (FTP) images, I only use Capture 1 Pro for post production for stock, everything else is done in PM.

Where they feature I believe naming individuals is essential so it does mean customising captions individually or where possible as groups.

Martin, would you say PhotoMechanic is worth purchasing?  I'm not a full time news shooter, but I do a fair bit when the opportunity presents itself.

11 hours ago, GS-Images said:

I usually pre write them, set them as an abbreviation in the app I use, then add specifics to each image before upload.

So I'll have something like this...

Brighton, East Sussex, England, UK. Saturday 24th February 2018.      on a cold but sunny day in Brighton on the south coast. Credit: Geoff Smith / Alamy Live News.

What great job opportunities in the news industry with that ability. One who can write tomorrow's news must really be much sought-after and highly paid. Just think of the weather forecasts - one could earn a fortune. :)  ;)  :D

Niels

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Martin, would you say PhotoMechanic is worth purchasing?  I'm not a full time news shooter, but I do a fair bit when the opportunity presents itself.

Personally I would not be without it even for stock; I do everything in it except raw conversion. In fact I bought it some years before I started shooting news. For me least, it makes keywording so much easier than in any of the catalogue programes or raw converters I have used. I happily use it on a 13" laptop as well. Just don't do as I did and create an over the top controlled structured vocabulary for keywords - so easy to include too many marginally relevant keywords. I ended up stripping it right back to bare bones. BTW, it is possible to set it it up so metadata is shared between PM and Lightroom or Capture 1 (my choice).

When I have been in event media centres it seems all sports photographers are using it.

You can try it for free: http://www.camerabits.com/try-photo-mechanic-for-free/ It is easy to do the basics from the start and the cleverer stuff (preset options, structured keywords,variables, code replacement) is pretty straightforward with good support from CameraBits and the forums.

3 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Personally I would not be without it even for stock; I do everything in it except raw conversion. In fact I bought it some years before I started shooting news. For me least, it makes keywording so much easier than in any of the catalogue programes or raw converters I have used. I happily use it on a 13" laptop as well. Just don't do as I did and create an over the top controlled structured vocabulary for keywords - so easy to include too many marginally relevant keywords. I ended up stripping it right back to bare bones. BTW, it is possible to set it it up so metadata is shared between PM and Lightroom or Capture 1 (my choice).

When I have been in event media centres it seems all sports photographers are using it.

You can try it for free: http://www.camerabits.com/try-photo-mechanic-for-free/ It is easy to do the basics from the start and the cleverer stuff (preset options, structured keywords,variables, code replacement) is pretty straightforward with good support from CameraBits and the forums.

Thanks for that, I may just go and purchase it.

Like Geoff and Martin I prepare a Photo Mechanic stationery pad in advance if I know what I will be covering, with a generic second sentence in the caption leaving room for a first sentence to identify the who, what etc.
This way I try to make sure every image has a descriptive caption of what it portrays, which is my answer to Sallys original question. 
I have a folder of Stationery Pad templates, xmp files and pmcode replacements ready for whatever pops up.
I see Keith’s point on speed but if the images have different people/content in the same event they need different captions, just a wee bugbear of mine!

Roger

Lots of useful information. I’m glad I asked the question.

i don’t think I can (yet anyway) justify the cost of Photomechanic, but I will keep it in mind and maybe try out the trial version.

i will pay more attention to being specific about the images in captions I think.

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Most definitely, setting a  variable for date, location and credit so I never ever have to worry about it again is worth the current £109 alone let alone the keywording features (controlled vocabulary) are outstanding.

Oh and you can use it on three different pc's, mac, laptop, etc

Ah, great stuff - thanks.  The screen shots you posted are making it look quite complex to use.  As a PC illiterate old boy, how easily will I be able to pick it up?  :wacko:

7 hours ago, Colblimp said:

PM is very good for handling metadata.  Just a word for those who do not follow Camera Bits' forums, version 6 will be coming out soon (whatever that means...): apparently the feature set is locked down, according to the developer.  There is no date given for the release of the new version yet, and I am not sure about their upgrade policy (i.e. how long you have before the new version is released to claim a free upgrade), so if you are in no particular hurry it might be wise to use the trial version for the time being and then when that expires (if you decide to buy) make the decision whether to go for version 5 or wait until version 6 availability and upgrade policy has been announced.  It is always annoying to buy a programme then find that you have bought just outside the free upgrade period for the next version.

I am very keen to see what the database version looks like, but it has been touted since at least 2013, so I am not holding my breath on this one.  The developers are very responsive in the forums and I have no doubt that is and when it sees the light of day, it will be good.

Graham

13 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Ah, great stuff - thanks.  The screen shots you posted are making it look quite complex to use.  As a PC illiterate old boy, how easily will I be able to pick it up?  :wacko:

The basics of PM are a doddle (but I am an ex-programmer, and early adopter of microcomputers - even before they became PCs!). Seriously select the images, edit Stationery Pad (fill in a form) with metadata and apply to the images; job done. (or you can do it individually on each image, with cut and paste). For a long time I did little more than that. There is help and an online manual and someone has probably already asked the same question in the forums.

When you are ready you can add regular values to pull down lists for locations, regions, countries, photographers, credit lines, categories, etc if you want to.

Inserting {variables} or select from list is easy. My headline/caption is preset as:

{city}, {country}, {day} {monthname} {year4}

which gives me something like:

Nottingham, England, 18 April 2017

as long as I enter the city, country (both preset pull down list for frequent locations, key new ones). I have date set to use create date/time automatically but you can override.

A new version, V6, is on the way but no date yet. Chargeable upgrades are not as frequent as for LR and the like but then they are not as affected by new cameras; they are offered at discounted price. New builds (free) tend to come along every month or two.

I suggest you try it and then if you decide to buy ask the question of support about the policy with regard to buying v5 now and the imminent V6.

BTW I do not get any kickback from CameraBits, I am just a happy customer.

7 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

The basics of PM are a doddle (but I am an ex-programmer, and early adopter of microcomputers - even before they became PCs!). Seriously select the images, edit Stationery Pad (fill in a form) with metadata and apply to the images; job done. (or you can do it individually on each image, with cut and paste). For a long time I did little more than that. There is help and an online manual and someone has probably already asked the same question in the forums.

When you are ready you can add regular values to pull down lists for locations, regions, countries, photographers, credit lines, categories, etc if you want to.

Inserting {variables} or select from list is easy. My headline/caption is preset as:

{city}, {country}, {day} {monthname} {year4}

which gives me something like:

Nottingham, England, 18 April 2017

as long as I enter the city, country (both preset pull down list for frequent locations, key new ones). I have date set to use create date/time automatically but you can override.

A new version, V6, is on the way but no date yet. Chargeable upgrades are not as frequent as for LR and the like but then they are not as affected by new cameras; they are offered at discounted price. New builds (free) tend to come along every month or two.

I suggest you try it and then if you decide to buy ask the question of support about the policy with regard to buying v5 now and the imminent V6.

BTW I do not get any kickback from CameraBits, I am just a happy customer.

Thanks Martin, that's very useful.  You've convinced me.  :)

I was wondering about where things stood with regard to the next release V6 of PM and I found this thread on upgrade policy.

Basically you get 12 months of all updates (including any major release in that time) and then all releases for the life of the major release. I will have to pay for V6 but will continue to get all free upgrades to V5 until support ends. Sounds very fair to me!

What a shame Alamy no longer has an image manager with a nice white box like that to type in keywords. Lightroom is almost as bad with white type on black. It is just not as easy to read. I think I have to start making my own keyword sets to copy and paste into the small clear white box in Alamy or Lightroom.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I was fed up with alamy keywording, fed up with lightroom, fed up with bridge, then I tried the structured keyword panel in PM. I have only just started to populate it, and it is by far the best I have used.

Capture.jpg

How do you select a keyword from your list and copy it into the image you're tagging - is it a one at a time  thing?

Archived