Raw & jpegs import into Lightroom why??

Have been following subject reference Lightroom.

I have a Canon 5dmk3 so I know I can export Raw & Jpegs into Lightroom. BUT I have only ever used the Raw files since going digital many moons ago.   (I have my camera set up only to store raw files when shooting).

I have found no confusion etc just sticking to Raw file processing etc in lightroom.

But it is very apparent many do use Raw & jpeg from canon files.

May I ask why??...how do you use them?..what advantages do you find??   etc

Thank you. I look forward to replies.....have I been missing out all these years??

Best regards

Sparks

Photographs available straight out of the camera - perhaps for news?

Some cameras actually do a pretty good job of creating JPGs (I have read that the RX100 is in that category), sometimes better than could be done in a hurry in LR, but don't know about your Canon.

I don't use JPEG, not even for news. I'm only used to editing RAW files and when I get JPEGs, I tend to resize etc. and then I usually forget to rename them. 

Editing RAW images is quick, especially if you need to crop etc. 

Jpegs, fast cross platform editing and low file size. Can't open my RX10 RAW ACR files in some software, and, like my 5d2 RAW files, they are big and slow in my PC.

I continue to shoot raw and jpeg  with my 5d2 but I move the raws to a separate folder after upload to my PC and just store them. I shoot jpeg with my RX10 and use them for stock, but also get nice print results with them.
May stop shooting raw altogether with the 5d2, unless I start doing serious studio or landscape work, but even then I'm not sure anymore.

If there was a full frame version of the RX10 available EVERYTHING else would be sold.

A RAW-file is the only proof you have to state that you are the one and only author of the image. Possessing only jpegs could mean you have nicked them (like those bl...y bloggers who have probably harrddisks full of jpegs ........ all nicked). You can't nick a RAW-file (unless you break into someone's computer). That's why - in Belgium and most other European countries - you don't have to register your images. 

Cheers,

Philippe

I did mention on another post some time ago that what you are now saying is the case. All my RAW images are kept in need of evidence.

Allan

That issue has been an annoyance of mine since I started using LR. I just shoot RAW now but would like to have the option of shooting both and being able to untick the JPG with a single click and not having to untick every individual image. It's pretty lame. 

That issue has been an annoyance of mine since I started using LR. I just shoot RAW now but would like to have the option of shooting both and being able to untick the JPG with a single click and not having to untick every individual image. It's pretty lame. 

You could just import the lot and then use the filter by file type to show only the JPEGs, then select all and delete or move. Or copy the lot from the card to the computer drive, sort by type and move or delete the JPEGs.

You could just import the lot and then use the filter by file type to show only the JPEGs, then select all and delete or move. Or copy the lot from the card to the computer drive, sort by type and move or delete the JPEGs.

That could well be the solution I was too lazy to investigate :) Cheers 

Archived