What Causes Placement to Change?

Gosh I wish I knew the answer to that.  The only thing I can say is that any images I have uploaded as live news (but that's not many) end up well behind similarly keyworded images uploaded normally even when taken on the same day, same location, same subject etc.

Otherwise most of my earlier Yorkshire images seem to be cursed by being placed beyond p50 and nothing I do to them, even re-uploading some, brings them anywhere near the front whereas for most subjects I have images on page one.

Pearl

I find that images that have never sold or been zoomed tend to sink slowly into the depths. Glug, glug...

Then there is the mysterious "diversity algorithm," whch has a habit of moving images around in search results. But that's probably not what you mean.

41 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't know what I mean, John. I'm just hoping for a bit of information, a small enlightenment of some kind.  :wacko:

No doubt there are lots of factors at work. One thing I can say is that going back and updating keywords and captions, creating supertags, etc. seems to help bring images back to the surface ( for awhile anyway). I'm seeing more zooms and sales of old images that I've recently reworked. I don't think it's a coincidence. Perhaps any kind of activity -- updating, zooms, sales, views -- helps keep images afloat longer. The corollary might be that neglected images have a greater chance of being shoved to the end of the line.

51 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

No doubt there are lots of factors at work. One thing I can say is that going back and updating keywords and captions, creating supertags, etc. seems to help bring images back to the surface ( for awhile anyway). I'm seeing more zooms and sales of old images that I've recently reworked. I don't think it's a coincidence. Perhaps any kind of activity -- updating, zooms, sales, views -- helps keep images afloat longer. The corollary might be that neglected images have a greater chance of being shoved to the end of the line.

Glad you found that, John. I did, too. Some of my old stuff got new life.

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Glad you found that, John. I did, too. Some of my old stuff got new life.

Yup, new life is what it's all about. Still a long way to go, though. I keep digging up batches of old images that are a real mess.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Perhaps any kind of activity -- updating, zooms, sales, views -- helps keep images afloat longer.

That is my guess, too. I pull up short of saying, "It's my belief." 

I am pretty sure that zooms improve an image's position and (according to Alamy) older images of some subjects (e.g. famous travel locations) maybe demoted as newer images become available. But they also stressed that the search algorithm is often tweaked.

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I am pretty sure that zooms improve an image's position and (according to Alamy) older images of some subjects (e.g. famous travel locations) maybe demoted as newer images become available. But they also stressed that the search algorithm is often tweaked.

Mark

Right. That's why I've always felt that it's not a bad idea to go back (if possible) and re-photograph popular places, even if there are already gazillions of images already available.

I would imagine that places would more often be checked for date.  Nothing much seems to stay the same except mountains!

Buildings are updated, repaired, painted, trees grow. The fashion incidental people in the shot wears changes.

So going back and shooting those places again is good.

13 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I have a live news image that sold 7 times, you would think it would be on the first page of a search, it's not. Another image, nearly identical, same theme, same keywords, appears on the first page, it's never sold.

I don't quite understand :huh:

Which upholds my belief that live news images are penalised because they have not been through the QC route. 

Pearl

16 minutes ago, Pearl said:

Which upholds my belief that live news images are penalised because they have not been through the QC route. 

Pearl

I think zoomed images seem to get promoted. But it seems like some sold images can get demoted instead. A number of my sold images now appear last (out of my images) in search results.

Mark

Archived