Will any keywording software be able to successfully keyword your images? A quick peek at your portfolio reveals lots of editorial type images where the specific location needs to be identified and included. Precise detail about each image is what sells at Alamy, and my limited experience of keywording software makes me think it can only deal with generic keywords, so making it of limited value here.

In recent discussion someone made the point that the best keywording software is that between one's ears and I would second that sentiment. I would venture to suggest that a small number of well-keyworded images will outsell a large portfolio of images with generic keywords. If you have to outsource the work you may find a dedicated human agency produces better results than software. Have a look at this thread  for recent discussion on the matter.

^^^ 

Oh yes, but no means are those keywording software the end of the workflow. I use them as a starting point for the basic of words and build on them with my own more specific. Need to look out for irrelevant / spam type words that the software sometimes throws out and eliminate them.

Another cool piece of software is Everypixel. Artificial intelligence keywording...best to just ignore the stuff about whether the image is awesome or not.  

On 5/4/2018 at 17:40, Joseph Clemson said:

Will any keywording software be able to successfully keyword your images? A quick peek at your portfolio reveals lots of editorial type images where the specific location needs to be identified and included. Precise detail about each image is what sells at Alamy, and my limited experience of keywording software makes me think it can only deal with generic keywords, so making it of limited value here.

In recent discussion someone made the point that the best keywording software is that between one's ears and I would second that sentiment. I would venture to suggest that a small number of well-keyworded images will outsell a large portfolio of images with generic keywords. If you have to outsource the work you may find a dedicated human agency produces better results than software. Have a look at this thread  for recent discussion on the matter.

Joseph, specific locations don't need to be included on keywords as they're already retrieved from Captions and, for internally Alamy purposes from the Location field on the Optional tab.

39 minutes ago, KODAKovic said:

Joseph, specific locations don't need to be included on keywords as they're already retrieved from Captions and, for internally Alamy purposes from the Location field on the Optional tab.

That may be so, but I shall happily carry on with my policy of including location (only where relevant) in keywords and making them supertags where appropriate and useful, and leave others to take the easier route of relying only on the caption.

However, my point is not just about location but the more general point that keywording software can only  provide generic keywords. Keywords relating to Who? Where? Why? When? are essential in an editorial orientated portfolio and this has to be supplied manually by the contributor or another knowledgeable human. I don't know if one day artificial intelligence will advance sufficiently to provide software to take the place of a human keyworder, but I'm pretty sure it is not there yet.

2 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

I too certainly wouldn't leave location out of tags, usually super. They are intended to have a higher search significance than the caption. Even if they don't, it seems odd not to include them. Even "uk" gets searched on a lot as an adjunct to a main search term. Ditto for other countries.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I too certainly wouldn't leave location out of tags, usually super. They are intended to have a higher search significance than the caption. Even if they don't, it seems odd not to include them. Even "uk" gets searched on a lot as an adjunct to a main search term. Ditto for other countries.

I agree wholeheartedly about making location tags. Location is represented in two places, always.

Archived