Jump to content

Sony A6000, etc. screen protectors


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

Never put one on, been using the a6000 for four years, no problem. Can't say the same for the NEX-6, which also never had a screen protector, but should have.

 

Interesting. When you say "no problem" do you mean no scratches or issues with the coating wearing off? The NEX cameras were infamous for having the "true black" coating peel off. Sounds as if a6000 screen might be (?) more durable than the NEX ones. I put a glass protector on my NEX-6's screen as soon as I could.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't recall the maker's name, but I have used a plastic protector on both the NEX6 and 6500.

 

I don't make a great deal of use of the screen, preferring to use the EVF. About the only time I use it is when I am shooting low down and it would be painful or impossible to do otherwise. In those circumstances I use contrast detect for focusing, and this has proved to be perfectly acceptable on the 6500, while I was less impressed with it on the NEX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I used the following:-  

Larmor Screen Protector for Sony A6000

Larmor LCD Protectors provide superior shock absorbency and scratch protection for your camera's LCD. Larmor protectors adhere to the LCD via a low tack silicone self-adhesive, which means the end of annoying sticky marks and glue left behind from the more common stick-on style protectors. This system is compatible with capacitance type touch screens.

 

It was about £15 from WEX in the UK. It is a plastic flexible unit. Put onr on both A6000 bodies no problems.

 

Allan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Interesting. When you say "no problem" do you mean no scratches or issues with the coating wearing off? The NEX cameras were infamous for having the "true black" coating peel off. Sounds as if a6000 screen might be (?) more durable than the NEX ones. I put a glass protector on my NEX-6's screen as soon as I could.

 

 

 

I mean that, to my eyes, the a6000 screen appears to be as when it was new, after four years of use in a variety of climates. But I wish I had put a protector on the NEX-6 screen; it's a mess.

 

No guarantee; your mileage may vary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I used the following:-  

Larmor Screen Protector for Sony A6000

Larmor LCD Protectors provide superior shock absorbency and scratch protection for your camera's LCD. Larmor protectors adhere to the LCD via a low tack silicone self-adhesive, which means the end of annoying sticky marks and glue left behind from the more common stick-on style protectors. This system is compatible with capacitance type touch screens.

 

It was about £15 from WEX in the UK. It is a plastic flexible unit. Put onr on both A6000 bodies no problems.

 

Allan

 

 

 

Thanks for the recommendation, Allan. It's a longish hike to the nearest WEX, but I'll check these out.

 

I've discovered that I have a spare optical glass protector that I bought for one of my earlier NEX cameras. If I turn this protector upside down, it seems to fit the a6000 screen perfectly. The Sony (APS-C) mirrorless screens appear to be (?) all the same size.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

 

I mean that, to my eyes, the a6000 screen appears to be as when it was new, after four years of use in a variety of climates. But I wish I had put a protector on the NEX-6 screen; it's a mess.

 

No guarantee; your mileage may vary.

 

You must have a magic touch. I scratch things just by taking them out of my camera bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Bryan said:

Can't recall the maker's name, but I have used a plastic protector on both the NEX6 and 6500.

 

I don't make a great deal of use of the screen, preferring to use the EVF. About the only time I use it is when I am shooting low down and it would be painful or impossible to do otherwise. In those circumstances I use contrast detect for focusing, and this has proved to be perfectly acceptable on the 6500, while I was less impressed with it on the NEX.

 

Bryan, is this the type -- or something similar -- of screen protectors that you are using?

 

Unfortunately, I can no longer PM you about this. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Bryan, is this the type -- or something similar -- of screen protectors that you are using?

 

Unfortunately, I can no longer PM you about this. :(

 

It's that type of thing John, but I can't recall the name. I don't recognise that particular product but suspect that it will be fine. 

 

Yes, I miss the ability to have a chat, is it bad form to post an address?

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

It's that type of thing John, but I can't recall the name. I don't recognise that particular product but suspect that it will be fine. 

 

Thanks. The reviews sound positive. I just ordered a pack thru amazon.uk with a gift card that I won from DACS a couple of years ago that still had a few pounds left on it. The price is right, so not a lot to lose. The a6000 is an amazing little camera. Haven't used it much yet, though. Still trying to figure out the myriads of setting options.

   
Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The screen protecters I have on my Sony a6000 and RX10 are Sony. I had a different make on my NEX-6 but I don't have that any longer and can't remember the name. Sorry, John. 

 

Do get a screen. I was told that I didn't need a screen for my RX100/3, and now I've started to see scratches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The screen protecters I have on my Sony a6000 and RX10 are Sony. I had a different make on my NEX-6 but I don't have that any longer and can't remember the name. Sorry, John. 

 

Do get a screen. I was told that I didn't need a screen for my RX100/3, and now I've started to see scratches. 

 

I remember buying a hard plastic clip-on Sony protector for my NEX-3, and it was so reflective -- almost like a pocket mirror -- that I sold it and bought a cheapo glass one on eBay, which was far better. Hopefully the latest Sony protectors have improved. I agree, screen protectors are a must, especially if you plan on selling the camera down the road. I'm going to give the plastic ones that I've ordered (here) a try. Perhaps they will be all I need. I hate putting the sticky glass protectors on. It usually takes me several tries. I've actually ruined a couple due to fumble-fingers.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The newer screen protectors are much better, much less refection. I can't imagine attaching a protector in any way but to stick it on. Fumble-fingers? I have familiar tremor, also called essential tremor, and all fiddled things are a problem. Over the years I've gotten good at sniper (or tai chi) breathing, simply remembering to breath when doing most anything. 

 

I try to use the EVF most of the time. There's no visual intimacy with a  screen.

 

Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The newer screen protectors are much better, much less refection. I can't imagine attaching a protector in any way but to stick it on. Fumble-fingers? I have familiar tremor, also called essential tremor, and all fiddled things are a problem. Over the years I've gotten good at sniper (or tai chi) breathing, simply remembering to breath when doing most anything. 

 

I try to use the EVF most of the time. There's no visual intimacy with a  screen.

 

Good luck.

 

I use the EVF most of the time as well. However, I find the screen useful for low and high shots. It can also be good when you want to keep an eye on your surroundings when composing. The problem with the clip-on screen protectors is that they tend to fall off at the wrong moment, like toupees and those silly clip-on neckties that people used to wear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.