Help please - What is this Wooden Thing

In some woodland along the North Yorkshire Coast,  I found wooden things that superficially look like bird boxes but are not.

I would like to know what they are for, so I can make a meaningful caption.

I will try to insert an image, but if I fail , please see M9MG27 or M9MG28.

Thanks,

Peter

Russel, John,

No, they are no kind of box at all.   Five vertical planks of three different lengths, and another piece of wood on top, like a fence post cap.   Things put out like this are usually for monitoring some aspect of the environment, but these seem to be plain softwood with no obvious coating.

Peter

Yes, they are bat boxes. Most boxes would have one entrance but these have two, with the two different lengths of vertical pieces for wood enabling the bats to enter the seperate roosts. Paint or preserviatives are never used.

Alan

Alan,

You sound very positive about this, but these things were not high up and I could look at them quite closely, and I could not see any hole where any animal could enter.

Are you suggesting that one of the shorter lengths of wood has a hole in the bottom?

I have some other images, that may show this.  I will have a look.

Peter

Alan et al,

I have had a look at another image, looking on the front of the box from slightly below.

The outer two pairs of planks have a gap in the inner one, giving two entrances.  I will upload that image next time.

A bat box it is.   Thanks for your help.

And shame on me for not noticing the entrances.

Peter

Kay,

Yes, thank you for that.   Most other bat box types seem to have a bottom entry slot, and a larger box shaped cavity further up.   I was wondering what happened inside this Kent box, whether the two entries combined to give a wider space further up.   But if so, why have two slots instead of one?  

In the link you sent, the picture showing the view through the entry slots tells the story.   The slots are the same width all the way up.  Those bats are really tiny.

I will add "Kent" to my tags.

Thanks again,

Peter

Archived