I'm worried. Today I realized something and I can not understand.
If, through the google search engine, I look for Lorenza photography, my pseudonym I can not find my portfolio, I find images with characters with the name "Lorenza". I verified some contributors through the pseudonym and I immediately find the portfolio. I assume at this point that I was wrong at the same time that I created my pseudonym: attributing "photography" I generalized ... is that for? At this point I ask myself: how much does this damage me? So far I have had 6 sales and 11 zooms, and I think my portfolio is not really a waste, I work a lot.
What do you think?

(sorry, I use the automatic translator ...)

10 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I don't think your pseudonym name makes the slightest difference in my opinion. Most buyers won't know what your name is so it's irrelevant. I hope I've understood your question.

hello,

you mean that a customer searches through the tags and not through the motto of the contributor. As a result, even if I do not find my portfolio through google, it does not matter?

4 hours ago, lorenza said:

hello,

you mean that a customer searches through the tags and not through the motto of the contributor. As a result, even if I do not find my portfolio through google, it does not matter?

Correct :)

1 hour ago, Colin Woods said:

Customers will search by keyword, so don't worry about pseudonyms. I have two, one for travel and one for general images. Many people have just one, others have several to manage their collection. Your pseudonym is fine.

As Colin says, your Pseudo is fine. 

9 hours ago, lorenza said:

through the google search engine, I look for Lorenza photography, my pseudonym I can not find my portfolio,

Your pseudonym will not come up in searches unless someone types it in advanced search, using the Search by Contributor Name option. The only way it will come up on a Google search is if you upload the images through the Live News Feed, or if you intentionally add the pseudonym to the Additional Info section of your image when adding captions. As in "image credit Lorenza Photography". Alamy may frown on that practice, and it's probably not a good idea if you have a lot of images. You only want dozen or so of your best images coming up on a google image search using your name, and preferably linking to your website or Instagram account, not 2,500 stock photos linking to a stock photo agency.

11 hours ago, Martin B said:

The only way it will come up on a Google search is if you upload the images through the Live News Feed, or if you intentionally add the pseudonym to the Additional Info section of your image when adding captions.

Martin,

That's not correct. Lots of my Alamy images come up in a Google search even if they don't have the pseudonym in caption or additional info. If I do a Google search for Alamy mypseudonym (I deliberately used a unique made up word for my pseudonym) and select the images tab, then my images (for which Alamy has prepared a web-page version) will appear in the results. Masses of mine appear high up because my pseudonym is unique. However, although this proves our images are available in Google searches without putting the pseudonym in caption or additional info, customer's don't tend to Google our pseudonyms. Having a unique pseudo is however useful for contributors if they want to find usages of their images. I do a Google image search for the following

Mypseudonym Alamy -www.alamy -de.alamy.com -Frames -dijitalimaj.com

Lorenza,

Don't worry your pseudonym is fine. It will not harm your sales.

If (out of interest) you want to force Google to show some of your images higher in the results (above Lorenza images), try a Google search for

+"Lorenza photography" Alamy

Please include the + and the "s. New select the image tab. You will see some of your pictures on Alamy.

Mark

47 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

That's not correct. Lots of my Alamy images come up in a Google search even if they don't have the pseudonym in caption or additional info.

If I type type in my just pseudonym, period, none of my images in the regular Alamy catalog will show up in a google search.  Don't know how it works with yours. It doesn't work with "Lorenza photography" either. A lot of images come up, but not from her images in the Alamy catalog.

8 hours ago, Martin B said:

If I type type in my just pseudonym, period, none of my images in the regular Alamy catalog will show up in a google search.  Don't know how it works with yours. It doesn't work with "Lorenza photography" either. A lot of images come up, but not from her images in the Alamy catalog.

I think we must be talking at cross purposes, or you've not included the "" and + in the search or not selected the Images tab, or Google is giving different results to what I see.

Here's a screenshot when I search for my pseudo. All but 2 of these images are mine and link to images hosted on Alamy.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-23_at_18.56.49.png

Here's a screenshot of a similar search for "Lorenza photography"

Screen_Shot_2018-03-23_at_18.30.59.png

At least images 10 and 11 are Lorenza's (there maybe others, I didn't check all of them)

Hope that helps?

Mark

Martin,

And here's what I see when I do a Google image search on your pseudo...

Screen_Shot_2018-03-23_at_18.45.50.png 

I think these are your images? Maybe you get different Google results searching in Montana? (I'm in UK where Alamy is based)

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Martin,

And here's what I see when I do a Google image search on your pseudo...

Screen_Shot_2018-03-23_at_18.45.50.png 

I think these are your images? Maybe you get different Google results searching in Montana? (I'm in UK where Alamy is based)

Mark

Yes, they are, but my name is in the description of those images, because i tied the flies. I have 1100 other images for sale on Alamy, none of them are coming up.

1 hour ago, Martin B said:

Yes, they are, but my name is in the description of those images, because i tied the flies. I have 1100 other images for sale on Alamy, none of them are coming up.

OIC poor choice of screenshot. Further down the same page of Google search results (in position 23), I can see your image with Alamy ref M1NC80 which, so far as I can see, doesn't include your name in the caption or description. Maybe I missed something? Have you repeated the search or just looked at my screenshot?

None of my images has my pseudonym in the tags, caption or description, and they appear in the Google results.

I'm not sure that all my images appear. A year or so ago, no Alamy images appeared in Google image search at all, then Alamy started rolling out a change which allowed the web-crawlers access to formatted pages which included our images. Initially it was only a few images that appeared but gradually more and more have been appearing. Maybe all my images are there now, or just a proportion I can't easily tell.

Mark

8 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Have you repeated the search or just looked at my screenshot?

No. I was just typing my pseudonym in without the " ", +, or Alamy in the search term, the way some regular Joe looking for examples my work would do. The only Alamy images that came up out of like the first couple hundred hits were ones that were either news reportage, or ones that already had my name in the caption for other reasons. I have no idea how Google algorithms work. They seem to defy common logic to me. I do know, however, that if my name is in the caption for some reason, the images pop up higher on the Google search page, in front of say pictures of my famous cousin, or Harvey Weinstein. 

Good, so you agree that your images are appearing in Google searches, albeit low down.

Using quotes forces Google to give priority to results that include a matching phrase. 

Google also gives a high priority to info in the caption.

I agree that if you want your images to appear high in Google image results when the average Joe searches for your pseudonym it helps to include your pseudonym in the caption. But if your pseudo is made of common words/names this still won't give a high placement. Another way is to choose a pseudonym that is a unique word (and then it doesn't matter whether it's in the caption or not).

Mark

7 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Personally I doubt that anyone (at least an insignificant number) searches Google for an individual's images. If they are aware of your name or pseudo name, wouldn't they search Alamy or their own portal to Alamy's database using the appropriate box under advanced search? Or if they like your work, you'll likely have a website they'll be aware of with links to your images on Alamy. I think most people would just search Alamy generally though and not care who took the photos. One way to do things is to keep several Alamy lightboxes up to date and promote links to those, or email clients directly if you know who might be interested, or put the links on Twitter. I have a lightbox for birds/ducks, another for plants, and a few more. Trying to work out Google's way of displaying results seems fruitless to me as it's tough enough trying to work out Alamy's algorithms.  :D

Geoff.

Totally agree, the main reason I like my images to appear high (or even exclusively!) in the Google searches for my pseudonym is to help me find usages. That's where having a unique pseudonym really works in my favour.

I would also like it if my images came up in high in Google searches by potential customers who don't know my pseudonym as it helps drive business to my pictures on Alamy. But ensuring that is largely beyond my control as it depends heavily on Alamy's ranking on Google. Unless of course I can manage to photograph subjects nobody else has and which buyers are also searching for. I really should use AoA more...

Mark

Mark,  Thanks for this. I tried my main pseudonym (on Bing for no particular reason) and lots of my Alamy images came up. What I didn't like to see is that the search engine also found similar images by other photographers and mixed those in. Not real bad, but I don't think the search terms were present on those similars.

Edit; Switched to Google and got way different results. Top row of images all a rock guitarist with the same name as mine (Alamy images, though), and lots more seemingly un-related images. 

2 hours ago, KevinS said:

What I didn't like to see is that the search engine also found similar images by other photographers and mixed those in. Not real bad, but I don't think the search terms were present on those similars.

Yes it is frustrating. I think Alamy has prepared searchable web pages both by individual Alamy image ref, but also by image "theme". If your image happens to appear on a themed page and Google has indexed that page, then you may see images from other photographers that appear on that page too.

Mark

Archived