Avoid Tag Duplication

Sally

Please can you see if it is possible not to have a both a supertag and ordinary tag duplicated.  It's impossible to search images where this has happened, and uses up tag limits unnecessarily. So, it should  not be possible to add a normal tag when there is already an exact supertag duplicate.

8 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yes, that's fine for an individual image. But I cant easily do that for thousands of images.

No.

You can ask contributor services for a spreadsheet. But even with that you will have to go over every image by hand.

wim

Gosh, that sounds a bit grim and almost gave me a heart attack. 

When I woked over my history updating the tags, I occasionally ended up having a tag and a supertag with the same keyword assigned to one image.

I believe this happened when I selected a group of images and assigned an existing supertag to all of the pictures. 

Where a picture already had a normal tag with the same keyword, presumably that "normal" keyword just remained. 

Just had a look through my collection and found the one below pretty quickly. 

It has both, a normal tag and a supertag "tit". 

I checked it is searchable using "ultra sound tit" as keywords in search, and the picture was showing up correctly - pheww.

So for this picture it appears to have no effect on searching. 

Do you know if there are any specific additional circumstances that drive image searchability?  

This is the  example 

eurasian-blue-tit-sitting-on-red-box-nex

I don't think it is a problem for people searching for images. I think Sally just meant that she doesn't want to waste tags and the searching she want to do is to check which images have duplications. I could be wrong but I haven't noticed that my duplications (and I have many) prevent my images from showing up properly.

Paulette

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

I don't think it is a problem for people searching for images. I think Sally just meant that she doesn't want to waste tags and the searching she want to do is to check which images have duplications. I could be wrong but I haven't noticed that my duplications (and I have many) prevent my images from showing up properly.

Paulette

As yes, sorry for any misunderstanding.  I didn't mean customer search, but my own in order to find duplicates, as Paulette suggests. 

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

It doesn't matter if there's a duplicate as far as customers searching goes, but I see above that this is about your own searching. I understand that you don't want to waste tags, but 50 is a large number and if you're using up that many regularly, I'd recommend you think more about the tags you're entering to keep them relevant, and also don't forget to use phrases too which are counted as one tag for each phrase. I tag very comprehensively yet have only used up all 50 tags on a few occasions.

Geoff.

With respect, I think I do tag relevantly, but there are some groups of images that there are a lot of tags that are relevant, and I do use them up. And, sometimes, new ones become relevant and it’s annoying to have to go back and chop some out to include them.

Ok, thanks for advice about one of my photos. However, I think it misses the point that it shouldn’t be too hard for the system to be set to avoid duplication, and for those cases where a lot of tags are important it would be a valuable improvement. 

Since I used all three boxes in the old image manager all my old images have duplicates and are so far over 50 words that I have just given up on being able to add anything. Such a shame as batch additions were supposed to be possible with the new image manager. I know I complain about it all the time but it frustrates me and makes me angry all the time.

Paulette

On 02/03/2018 at 10:48, Sally said:

Please can you see if it is possible not to have a both a supertag and ordinary tag duplicated.  It's impossible to search images where this has happened, and uses up tag limits unnecessarily. So, it should  not be possible to add a normal tag when there is already an exact supertag duplicate.

+1

Good idea. Given that it appears the latest incarnation of Alamy's search engine algorithm no longer prioritises images with the same keyword as both ordinary tag and supertag over those with just a supertag it would be great for the redundant ordinary tags to be removed, and for the system to stop us duplicating them in the first place. Maybe Alamy could remove them for us.... Second thought, perhaps not, it would probably go wrong :unsure: ... I think I'd rather remove them myself to help make more space for bulk addition of new keywords when required.

On 02/03/2018 at 11:13, wiskerke said:

No.

You can ask contributor services for a spreadsheet. But even with that you will have to go over every image by hand.

wim

Not necessarily... a bit of Excel Visual Basic could soon deal with that. Maybe I'll have a look at writing something when I get chance.

Mark

Archived