Email about accreditation. What does this mean?

Hi All. 

Have you received this in an email? 

'We are very sorry we are unable to assist you in applying for accreditation to this event at this time.' 

In your experience what does it mean? Also if you think it is a euphemism for 'we have a photographer thanks for the job', why does the sender not state that? 

Kind Regards, 

Adrian. 

Hi Allan and Saltanpepa,

Yes I applied to 2 events and received this reply to both from company A. I also did my own application directly. One place said company A had spoken to them and had placed a photographer, another said they had added me to their list as a photographer for the event. I'm now wondering if I turn up to the event, on the one I now have access to, there will be another photographer from the same place. Yes, I did ask company A but was told the person who sent out the emails was on holiday. 

I think it looks bad on the company if a photographer gets this email and has to discover from the event's media person the company they tried to get accreditation through has already placed a photographer. It wastes the time of the event's media person replying when they are super busy in the days running up to the event and  they may also think the photography company is not letting their photographers know what is going on. Be honest is a good idea for all in my view. 

Kind Regards, 

Adrian. 

Adrian, without more context it is difficult to answer your question. Are you applying to provide people at the event with photos or for news/stock? It is not uncommon to get these emails.  In fact some event organisers do not reply at all.  I had a major national event last year where I was invited to apply for accreditation only to get an email after an application for accreditation to be told the event was full up. I got accredation for London Fashion Week, but a lot of shows have Photographer access by invitation only.        You end up making large numbers of applications and often thr PR company will only reply if successful, or, perhaps worse, your accreditation arrives the day before the show when you have already scheduled shoots.  In my mind there are two issues, first photographers are lower in the PR/media pecking order now due to vbloggers, camera phones etc and second many event organisers do not know how to manage media.  I covered a big national event this week. I had to chase for accreditation and on arrival there was no facilities, information or even space.  I lost a celebrity visit photo opp there as there was no media information.  (A cleaner knew, but not me...)

It iappears to me we just have to be persistent but at the same time go with the flow and accept that on occasion it is not going to work for us and move on to the next event.

Archived