Image is too small when submitting to QC

Hello:

I am trying to upload my first 3 images for QC to see if they are accepted.
I shoot all my picture in RAW and they are over 22mb each, but when I finish processing them in Lightroom, they are down to around 600K.
I get the following error when trying to upload them:
"This image is too small.
It needs to be at least a 17MB file when uncompressed. This is likely to have a JPEG size of 3-5MB."

Clearly I am not exporting them at the right size/dimensions.
I usually export them at 1024 on the long edge and the resolution 300 pixels per inch.

I feel stupid asking the question, but if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
David 

11 hours ago, ilzho said:
Hello:

I am trying to upload my first 3 images for QC to see if they are accepted.
I shoot all my picture in RAW and they are over 22mb each, but when I finish processing them in Lightroom, they are down to around 600K.
I get the following error when trying to upload them:
"This image is too small.
It needs to be at least a 17MB file when uncompressed. This is likely to have a JPEG size of 3-5MB."

Clearly I am not exporting them at the right size/dimensions.
I usually export them at 1024 on the long edge and the resolution 300 pixels per inch.

I feel stupid asking the question, but if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
David 

Your longest edge needs to be about 2880 pixels to get an 18mb file, which is the smallest acceptable size for submission to Alamy.

John.

4 hours ago, ilzho said:

Thanks everyone.

The reason I cut them down at that size was for a magazine that published a few of pictures in the past. 

1024 pixels is most likely for online use only, certainly not acceptable for print resolution. As everyone has said, give Alamy the best file you can, and compress it at level 10 or greater. The better the resolution, the more sales opportunies there are.

Good luck!

Tony

ilzho,

1040 is web size, or 7 inches by.

Many times an editor at a publication would ask for a smaller image, for whatever reasons, but I would never work with an image

of less than 3,000 by at 300 DPI.  I am now working with 7360 by files.

I would politey suggest that you read the Alamy submission guidlines.  I printed them out in 2003 and I still have the print out, even though

it is now out of date.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I have exported them at the proper size and have submitted my first 3 images for QC approval/denial.

We shall see if I get approved and if not, I'll try again.

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions.

Cheers,

David

Well my first submission failed. QC said, it lacked definition and camera shake. I guess I should take my camera off my tripod next time, haha.....

Oh well, I'll try again. 

I am assuming that if the first picture fails, the other 2 aren't even looked at. 

1 hour ago, ilzho said:

Well my first submission failed. QC said, it lacked definition and camera shake. I guess I should take my camera off my tripod next time, haha.....

Oh well, I'll try again. 

I am assuming that if the first picture fails, the other 2 aren't even looked at. 

In first submissions, they look at each image, so ifthey didn't complain about the other two, then they should be fine.

Jill

3 hours ago, ilzho said:

Do you use a lens with Image Stabilisation? And if so, do you switch it off when you mount it on a tripod?  I have found recently that certain lenses (100mm macro is one example) will produce unsharp images at certain shutter speeds if the IS is left on when they are used on a tripod.  It had me baffled for a while.

4 hours ago, ilzho said:

Oh well, I'll try again. 

If one fails - they all fail.

Nothing fancy needed for your first submission. No effects, no arty stuff, just sharp well exposed pictures. Pretty much anything will do, they aren't judging your artistic merits, just your ability to produce high quality files.

Archived