Yet another problem with the new IM.

Has anyone experienced the following problem?

Wading through my images and trying to make sense of the new tagging/keywording requirements I discovered a few image that were duplicates.  I deleted one and found that both duplicate images have now disappeared.

That never happened with the old system.  Is this a bug?

Looked this problem again and have discovered that both duplicate images do not disappear.  One disappears and the other one stays.

However, you cannot change any tags on the remaining image.  

This leads me to believe that the remaining image will be deleted after the usual 180 days.

Hi Gordon -

I havent come across that one! Does sound like a bug though - BUT, did you happen to notice if the duplicate images had the same Alamy 6 figure code? An occasional duplicate of mine does, and in that case you may find they are both deleted when you delete one?

Kumar (The Doc one)

Might be the same or a similar problem to the one that I had - on my first four earliest submissions the images were duplicated but the keywords changed to German when I selected the duplicate.  See my post on the 'Image Manager' thread.....

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/6954-the-image-manager-thread/page-38#entry121748

I contacted Alamy before I did anything and it was sorted within 48 hours (it had already been flagged up by someone else).

Hi Gordon -

I havent come across that one! Does sound like a bug though - BUT, did you happen to notice if the duplicate images had the same Alamy 6 figure code? An occasional duplicate of mine does, and in that case you may find they are both deleted when you delete one?

Kumar (The Doc one)

Hi Kumar,

Many thanks for the suggestion.  To be honest I didn't make a note of the 6 figure code so you could be right.  However, When I delete the 1st duplicate it disappears immediately.  I now find the the remaining image cannot be worked on re tagging which leads me to believe that one will now be deleted after 180 days.

I did contact Alamy and received a pretty patronising reply suggesting that I had obviously accidentally deleted both images.  

Decided to leave any duplicates alone for now and spend more banging my head against the nearest wall.

I had a lot of similar editorial images from a recent shoot and deleted more than half as soon a the new IM came out. They seemed to disappear immediately. This was some weeks ago. The rest are still there.

Wondering if you might have clicked on one of your images, then more since you can't unclick unless you clear all your selections?

I discovered a pair of duplicates last week while browsing through old images. They had different Alamy ID codes, though.

I don't remember uploading the image twice, but I might have. One of them is now awaiting deletion.

Hi John,

Have you tried getting into the tagging box for that remaining image?  I also thought that my remaining images were ok but when I tried to check the tagging I couldn't.

Alamy have now said that there is a possible glitch that occasionally creates duplicates.  

In fact they are not actual duplicates and when you delete one you are actually deleting the original image - if you get my drift.

I had a lot of similar editorial images from a recent shoot and deleted more than half as soon a the new IM came out. They seemed to disappear immediately. This was some weeks ago. The rest are still there.

Wondering if you might have clicked on one of your images, then more since you can't unclick unless you clear all your selections?

Hi Marianne,

I am not talking about 'similar' - I am talking about duplicates.

No.  There was no mistake.  My suspicions were raised when I realised that one of the images that showed a duplicate could not have been uploaded twice.

When I deleted the duplicates they also disappeared immediately.

I would suggest you go back to those images and try to get into the metadata.  If you can't then those remaining images are earmarked for deletion and will disappear after 180 days.

I finally got a response from Alamy yesterday that shed more light on this duplicate problem.  

It seems there is a glitch that occasionally creates false duplicates.  When you delete one you are in fact deleting the original image.  Worthwhile checking your images.

If you cannot get into your tagging you will need to report it to Alamy quoting the Alamy ref. number and ask for these image to be removed from the opening deletion folder.

If you deleted before they went to "ready" status (in old MI terms) they disappeared immediately, otherwise they hung around for 180 days. I have immediately deleted erroneous uploads in that way in the past. With the new IM that "ready" and "on sale" status is unclear but I guess much the same will happen if the images have not been keyworded or all mandatory fields have not been completed/ defaulted.

If you deleted before they went to "ready" status (in old MI terms) they disappeared immediately, otherwise they hung around for 180 days. I have immediately deleted erroneous uploads in that way in the past. With the new IM that "ready" and "on sale" status is unclear but I guess much the same will happen if the images have not been keyworded or all mandatory fields have not been completed/ defaulted.

The duplicate images in my case were not actual duplicate images.  They were 4 images that had been on sale for some months.  They showed up as duplicates when in fact they could not be duplicates as I know only one of each image was uploaded.  There is a glitch in the system and contributors need to be aware that it is highly likely that they could lose the original after 180 days.

I discovered a pair of duplicates last week while browsing through old images. They had different Alamy ID codes, though.

I don't remember uploading the image twice, but I might have. One of them is now awaiting deletion.

Hi John,

Have you tried getting into the tagging box for that remaining image?  I also thought that my remaining images were ok but when I tried to check the tagging I couldn't.

Alamy have now said that there is a possible glitch that occasionally creates duplicates.  

In fact they are not actual duplicates and when you delete one you are actually deleting the original image - if you get my drift.

Oh dear, thanks for the heads-up. Guess I`ll have to e-mail customer relations about the image that I deleted. Fortunately, it wasn`t exactly a bestseller.

Hi John,

Oh dear, thanks for the heads-up. Guess I`ll have to e-mail customer relations about the image that I deleted. Fortunately, it wasn`t exactly a bestseller.

Hi John,

Before you email Alamy try looking at the tagging of that particular image.  If you can get the metadata to open then the image is fine and not earmarked for the boot.  If you can't open it then it is earmarked.  

If all contributors tried this when they see duplicates and email Alamy if there is a problem then maybe Alamy might actually try to do something to correct this glitch.

Archived