Unique sale

Malcolm Park

With over 90m images now on Alamy it’s pleasing to report that the only product shot on Alamy of a particular item which I submitted in 2012 (yes, no others in the whole 90m!) sold for the first time on 27 Jan 2017 for a reasonable $100. Unfortunately, because it is unique, it remains a secret.

For a couple of years I owned a 1964 Vox Dominator guitar - it has "seen better days", the fretboard was so worn it was pretty much unplayable, but it was a thing of great beauty.

I sold it to a collector, which in itself made a nice profit on what I paid for it, but before I sold it, I photographed it, and posted four pictures here.

A unique item, they've sold several times over the last few years, total so far is about $800.00, lots more than the sale of the item itself.

1964-vox-dominator-classic-british-elect

Have been looking out for other old, knackered guitars ever since .....

:)

I must shoot my 1963 Vox Dominator tomorrow, thanks TeeCee!   ;)

Hope you cherish it MIck. mine was a delight to look at, but a pretty useless guitar.

Looking through my sales, my two best selling categories are places, then music stuff of assorted varieties.

Still keeping a close eye on those second hand shops for a 60's Vox teardrop...

Sold a picture of four bars of chocolate last week, which paid for the four bars of chocolate. Not quite in the same league, I admit.

Reckon if they'd been unique chocs from about '62, you'd be onto a winner there!

Though not as far as eating the choc goes. Probably a bit past it's sell by date, methinks....

:wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

TeeCee... I used to play guitar but since I came to the USA I gave up because almost everyone here is a guitar player! A lot of my mates are guitar players and they have some pretty exotic guitars. One friend has several Gibsons and Fenders that he's scared to take out to a gig in case they get stolen. Another friend has a 1962 Fender Jazzmaster that he leaves at home now because it's worth so much. He currently buys Hansens on ebay for under $500 complete with Bigsby 'whammy' bars on them that play great.  He used to have a guitar shop and he knows what he is doing and he can make anything sound wonderful. I almost bought a Vox way back but instead got a Hofner President and regret ever selling it!

TeeCee... I used to play guitar but since I came to the USA I gave up because almost everyone here is a guitar player! A lot of my mates are guitar players and they have some pretty exotic guitars. One friend has several Gibsons and Fenders that he's scared to take out to a gig in case they get stolen. Another friend has a 1962 Fender Jazzmaster that he leaves at home now because it's worth so much. He currently buys Hansens on ebay for under $500 complete with Bigsby 'whammy' bars on them that play great.  He used to have a guitar shop and he knows what he is doing and he can make anything sound wonderful. I almost bought a Vox way back but instead got a Hofner President and regret ever selling it!

That Jazzmaster will be worth a tidy sum of money, both as a guitar and as an object to be photo'd. Like Alan says, clean it to perfection and photograph it front/back/sides/upside down....

If something is really unusual (and an original '62 Jazzmaster will be durned hard to find), there's certainly going to be little photo competition out  on Alamy (searching "vintage jazzmaster" produces just 4 results, and all the pix look like a new model to me). There are a surprising number of calendars produced each year of vintage guitars, good market for the photos. (I know this for sure, one's on my Christmas list every year. And yes, I am indeed that sad ...) :unsure:

On the other tack, like your friend, I have two "good" guitars, both Canadian, and again, like your friend, they get used for rehearsals and home use only.

When we play in the pubs round here, I use a Yamaha I bought back in 2000 for under £200.00...

Sorry for the delay Inchiquin and TeeCee! Yes, these guys have more guitars than anyone could ever need. I also had a Yamaha acoustic and two Eko's, one 6 string and one 12 string. Not pricey but I loved the 12 string. All gone now but I am still around music all the time. From 2005 on I did live recording gigs of my favorite local musicians. 16 channel and 24 channel mobile rigs. Great fun but very, very time consuming! I was hired to do a "Root Series" of 10 music concerts for a local arts center and got to record Chris Hillman of The Byrds and Manassass. Also Bettye LaVette. I couldn't believe how lucky I was.

I don't have a studio but I did have the idea of shooting all of my best friends guitars plus the Jazzmaster of course. These guys are guitar nerds....unlike me!  :D

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a ukulele a while back. It has been largely gathering dust since but I did, of course, photograph it while it was still dust-free and I've had one sale to a Finnish website, to illustrate an article on Death Metal UkuleleDeath Metal Ukelele constitutes a unique

Death Metal Ukelele? headscratch.gif

Blimey!

Now that's a narrow musical genre  .....

Sorry for the delay Inchiquin and TeeCee! Yes, these guys have more guitars than anyone could ever need. I also had a Yamaha acoustic and two Eko's, one 6 string and one 12 string. Not pricey but I loved the 12 string. All gone now but I am still around music all the time. From 2005 on I did live recording gigs of my favorite local musicians. 16 channel and 24 channel mobile rigs. Great fun but very, very time consuming! I was hired to do a "Root Series" of 10 music concerts for a local arts center and got to record Chris Hillman of The Byrds and Manassass. Also Bettye LaVette. I couldn't believe how lucky I was.

I don't have a studio but I did have the idea of shooting all of my best friends guitars plus the Jazzmaster of course. These guys are guitar nerds....unlike me!  :D

Nice pix of Jeff Beck in action, btw.

And of Beale Street too, spent a few days there about 10 years ago, had a great time.

We share a few postings of night scenes there...

:)

I bought a ukulele a while back. It has been largely gathering dust since but I did, of course, photograph it while it was still dust-free and I've had one sale to a Finnish website, to illustrate an article on Death Metal UkuleleDeath Metal Ukelele constitutes a unique

Death Metal Ukelele? headscratch.gif

Blimey!

Now that's a narrow musical genre  .....

http://www.radiocity.fi/uutiset/viihde/a-736  -    Well worth a read. Well, possibly. I suspect.

Archived