canon 760D and Lightroom 4

Guest Stockfotoart

However, by not upgrading, you are missing a lot of the advances that have been made in LR since version 4. Recent versions (6.6 on I think) have seen very significant improvements in speed and there are loads of other enhancements.

However, by not upgrading, you are missing a lot of the advances that have been made in LR since version 4. Recent versions (6.6 on I think) have seen very significant improvements in speed and there are loads of other enhancements.

Also true  :)

Guest Stockfotoart
On 26.1.2017 at 18:57, MDM said:

Guest Stockfotoart
On 26.1.2017 at 17:48, ReeRay said:

AKAIK - as far as I know

Why not open the RAW files in DPP and export directly into LR as a TIFF file and work from there. ?

The way I see it you have two basic options. Firstly, if Lightroom allows, choose to import as DNGs from your memory card. Second, save the DNGs from conversion in a different folder and then delete the original Canon raws folder.

a very good point but too expensive -_-

How much do you value your time? The latest version is way faster with numerous enhancements that enable faster and better processing than LR4. The standalone upgrade is probably no more than 100 euro and the subscription version is probably 12 euro a month and includes full Photoshop.

Guest Stockfotoart
On 27.1.2017 at 00:46, MDM said:

On 26.1.2017 at 19:31, Stockfotoart said:

How much do you value your time? The latest version is way faster with numerous enhancements that enable faster and better processing than LR4. The standalone upgrade is probably no more than 100 euro and the subscription version is probably 12 euro a month and includes full Photoshop.

ok convinced. I thought that there is only the sub version but I found the upgrade also for the box, a bit hidden though.

But the question remains. Obviously there will be no update of LR6 by Adobe any more. The canon 760D came up only one year ago. I can't find any information if LR6 supports the raw reading of this type of camera.

Anybody knows?

Yes - Adobe always update ACR/Lightroom for new cameras but only in the existing version of the software. Be aware that the standalone version does not have all of the new features of the subscription version. One of the features that is not included in the standalone updates as far as I know is the Guided Uprights which allows you to graphically correct  verticals and horizontals all at the same time - looking at your port and the number of buildings you do, this is something you might find very useful and timesaving - it's a superb enhancement I think.

Guest Stockfotoart
On 27.1.2017 at 18:13, MDM said:

On 27.1.2017 at 14:31, Stockfotoart said:

On 27.1.2017 at 00:46, MDM said:

On 26.1.2017 at 19:31, Stockfotoart said:

ok convinced. I thought that there is only the sub version but I found the upgrade also for the box, a bit hidden though.

But the question remains. Obviously there will be no update of LR6 by Adobe any more. The canon 760D came up only one year ago. I can't find any information if LR6 supports the raw reading of this type of camera.

Anybody knows?

Yes - Adobe always update ACR/Lightroom for new cameras but only in the existing version of the software. Be aware that the standalone version does not have all of the new features of the subscription version. One of the features that is not included in the standalone updates as far as I know is the Guided Uprights which allows you to graphically correct  verticals and horizontals all at the same time - looking at your port and the number of buildings you do, this is something you might find very useful and timesaving - it's a superb enhancement I think.

Anybody knows?

Hmm very confusing because I found an article in German today saying that the standalone version is completely identical with the sub version. The sub version is out of question for me, i'm travelling a lot and there isn't always an internet connection. But sure what you mention would be very helpful. Well anyway MDM many thanks for the very helpful information!

When it was released the two versions were identical but there have been several updates and I am certain that the two are no longer identical - something to do with US law and the definition of updates I read (perhaps the German versions are different but I really doubt that). The subscription version does not require a permanent internet connection by the way - I think you need to connect once a month or something. I use it offline a lot. It's actually very good value because it comes with full Photoshop as well.

Anybody knows?

Hmm very confusing because I found an article in German today saying that the standalone version is completely identical with the sub version. The sub version is out of question for me, i'm travelling a lot and there isn't always an internet connection. But sure what you mention would be very helpful. Well anyway MDM many thanks for the very helpful information!

You don't need a permanent internet connection for the subscription version of LR. You just need to connect every so often (three months I think, but I haven't looked it up).

I just checked the Adobe FAQ:

What if I need to be offline for awhile? Can I still access my Creative Cloud apps?

The Creative Cloud software verifies the account status on Adobe servers once a day. If the account is in good standing (that is, payment is up-to-date) when the last verification happens, the software status refreshes to run for at least 99 days offline.

So you can be offline for over 3 months before needing to verify.

Guest Stockfotoart
On 27.1.2017 at 22:15, MDM said:

I just checked the Adobe FAQ:

What if I need to be offline for awhile? Can I still access my Creative Cloud apps?

The Creative Cloud software verifies the account status on Adobe servers once a day. If the account is in good standing (that is, payment is up-to-date) when the last verification happens, the software status refreshes to run for at least 99 days offline.

So you can be offline for over 3 months before needing to verify.

Archived