Offensive language in images

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I have a few pictures that were taken during a large demonstration in London earlier this year.

Some of the placards people were holding have an offensive word on them. Would you upload as is, or would it be better to edit the pictures to disguise or eliminate the word?

Alamy uses “WTF” on their blog, so I am sure your images would not curdle their milk.

The only thing out of bounds is glamour, but that’s because they are British, were taken from their mothers at an early age, and were forced to go away to school.

I generally avoid photographing "four letter words" when shooting protests because most publications won't run them. But, during this year's US election they've become so common there's really no avoiding them.

Some of the major news outlets have run photos with these words and digitized a letter or two. Of course everybody knows what it said. FWIW, I've had several sales from these protests but none containing these words have sold.

Speaking of censorship, I video taped a man being swept to his death today.

Question.

Should I publish it?

My thoughts for what they're worth are definitely not - it would haunt me forever more if it was one of my loved ones.  If it's the poor man in Alicante it's already been published by the daily mail :(

The Daily Mail asked for my footage but I refused.

I have put it on youtube with licensing options, but news fades away fast, and, although my footage is much 'better' if that's the word than the Mail footage, it may not get any interest after today.

Alamy couldn't get any interest, but it is a moral dilemma, because, if we shoot editorial/news images and footage, surely we shouldn't draw the line anywhere.

It doesn't necessarily have to be negative as it could certainly serve as a warning as to what can happen. Apparently he ignored warnings and the waves were massive.

I've posted it on my Facebook page linked to Youtube as a warning, but I still had a moral dilemma with it, and was peed off that the Daily Mail originally tried to get footage for 'exposure', then offered two different amounts to buy it.

The waves were not so much massive, it was the speed of the torrent when he went back to move his car and it cost him his life.

Not the first drowning on this road as a British couple died there in 2011.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Dave. No I wouldn't edit an offensive word out of a picture.

It doesn't necessarily have to be negative as it could certainly serve as a warning as to what can happen. Apparently he ignored warnings and the waves were massive.

I've posted it on my Facebook page linked to Youtube as a warning, but I still had a moral dilemma with it, and was peed off that the Daily Mail originally tried to get footage for 'exposure', then offered two different amounts to buy it.

The waves were not so much massive, it was the speed of the torrent when he went back to move his car and it cost him his life.

Maybe an even better illustration of how dangerous the sea can be as it doesn't look so bad  - the water looks quite shallow and the two guys on the shore are a few metres away but unable to do anything but watch.

Upload as is, you're documenting what was happening at the time, publishers can choose to print them edited or not.

Cheers,

David

I agree - as photographers we are there to record. To me offensive is choosing a subject such as BHMHBY as your BHZ example of yourself.

Archived