Do you publicise your Alamy Portfolio? And, if so, how?

Hi all,

This has probably been asked in the past, but I couldn't find it.

Do any of you let the big, bad world know about your Alamy portfolio with the aim of getting exposure for it (and, abviously, help with sales)? If so, may I ask how you do it?

I am thinking of doing this and would appreciate any pearls!

nj

Don’t know if I can give you any pearls, however I have a link to my Alamy collection (and some of my other collections) on my website. I also have a link on each individual image on the website to the library. I also have a Tear Sheet category, again with links to the relevant library. For some press work I have been asked to supply links showing work, so guess it may have helped.

I've got a print site on PhotoShelter and an RF stock site (via Symbiostock) that I link back to my Alamy RM* images from. I use a "Stock" page on the print site and the "About Me" page on my Symbiostock site. It's just some simple HTML coding.

It's not produced any hits yet AFAIK but I've only just set it up in the last week so it's early days. If only you could link back from Alamy, it would be good for SEO.

*Just to be clear, my RM images are not offered as RF elsewhere; I'm just informing the World that I've got different images to license at another site.

I've thought of putting a link on my PhotoShelter website, but it seems counterproductive because the few direct sales that I make these days are usually much higher than the ones I get thru Alamy. In other words, there seems to be no point, financially speaking, in directing possible customers to Alamy.

A case in point, a recent corporate website sale on Alamy will net me a whopping $11.15. Last year, I made a similar sale (with fewer rights granted) thru my PS website for $650. It was a once in a blue mooner, though.

I agree with John.  I don't understand quite why one would direct sales away from your own website where you have complete control over the pricing and use, to your Alamy site where you have neither and risk single figure licenses.  

Sheila

I used to have a link from my site to my Alamy portfolio and yes, I think it did make a difference. You have to ask yourself though, if I'm doing the marketing for Alamy why am I paying them 50%? I also know of one instance where I was badly undercut by Alamy on what would have been a very good direct sale so you need to decide carefully. Of course it shouldn't be too hard for a customer to find your images elsewhere on the web without s link. I personally think Alamy should add a link to my website on their homepage. That would work better imo ;)

"I don't understand quite why one would direct sales away from your own website where you have complete control over the pricing and use, to your Alamy site where you have neither and risk single figure licenses.  "

because i have a few hundred images on my site...and 22,000 on Alamy

km

I guess the bottom line (hate that term, don't know why I'm using it)  is that if you have a small website or blog designed to showcase your portfolio, then linking to your Alamy collection makes sense. But if you have a more elaborate website with e-commerce, etc., then linking to Alamy amounts to shooting yourself in the foot. I'm sure that none of us would lease images for as low as $5.96 on our own.

Sheila, simply because my website hosts my personal landscape and Nature work whereas I use Alamy for all my commercially orientated work. John Mitchell's first sentence above sums up my situation - I am a very keen stock shooter but it is NOT my primary income source. I think stock is yours?

nj

Sheila, simply because my website hosts my personal landscape and Nature work whereas I use Alamy for all my commercially orientated work. John Mitchell's first sentence above sums up my situation - I am a very keen stock shooter but it is NOT my primary income source. I think stock is yours?

nj

Hi Nick

Actually, "stock" is not my primary source of income these days. If it were, I would take up basket weaving. And as I have said many times, I don't consider myself a "stock" photographer. It's a good point regarding not having all your work on your own website and hence having a link, but as I started uploading to my website many years before I joined Alamy et al, most of my work is not on Alamy. I have close to 5,000 images on my website (and 11 million hits in 11 years) and a fairly high Google ranking. I have approx 1,300 on Photodeck which I joined about 18 months ago when it was in beta form. I am now concentrating on print on demand sales which over the past few months, is far more lucrative for me than licensing my work on Alamy or any other stock library.

Sheila

Archived