So much for Latin names!

Last year, I licensed a stick insect image, C3M9W6, clearly labelled 'Male Stick Insect (Achriopetra fallax)'. Its origin is Madagascar (in keywords).

Today I found its usage through Google Images. It is now tagged China, Phryganistria chinensis, a stick insect discovered in China. Mine is turquoise with red wings, the one they mean is dull brown.

Should I laugh or cry? 

And it's getting worse. I've also now found my image of the 2015 Alice Springs Camel Race,  FF0PFA , clearly described as such, used to illustrate the 2016 Uluru Camel Cup, 460km away!

I could understand using such an image for a similar event, but the caption is "riders leave a trail of dust in the Uluru Camel Cup".

Why are we thriving for accuracy!! 

And it's getting worse. I've also now found my image of the 2015 Alice Springs Camel Race,  FF0PFA , clearly described as such, used to illustrate the 2016 Uluru Camel Cup, 460km away!

I could understand using such an image for a similar event, but the caption is "riders leave a trail of dust in the Uluru Camel Cup".

Why are we thriving for accuracy!! 

Photographers need to be accurate, otherwise photographers get blamed for someones else’s mistake or fraud.

It happens.  I have only found one such case from my images, when a Russian Website (for a huge circulation Russian magazine) blatantly ignored the description/keywords for a European pastry and declared it to be some completely different delicacy from a different country.

As Chris says:

Surely you know that journalists rarely let truth get in the way of a good story :)

A tad cynical, perhaps.  More laziness - and the belief that they'll get away with it -  than anything I suppose.

Photographers need to be accurate, otherwise photographers get blamed for someone else’s mistake or fraud.

Yup.  I did my job.  So have you, gvallee.  Best to sit back and enjoy the payouts when they come!

Archived