uploading/file size

Hi everyone...brand new here!

Im trying to upload some images and my file sizes are too small. I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom to process my images. Most of my images are not even close to 17MB uncompressed (3-5 MB compressed). Do i need to change a setting on my camera? How do i get my files that large? I shoot with a Nikon D700.

Thanks!

In simple words:

• Tiff : minimum 17 Mb
  • >>> converted to Jpeg >>> file sizes between 2MB and 10MB (or higher) are very normal

Tiff    = uncompressed >> same file sizes for all pictures from the same camera

Jpeg = compressed     >> different file sizes for all pictures from the same camera (the more fine detail in your picture, the larger the Jpeg file size)

See also here

Cheers,

Philippe

@Philippe - I recognise that response .. do you have it filed away somewhere to copy and paste every time someone asks this question?  :)

@am6524 - as Philippe points out, a JPEG file is already compressed (JPEG is an image compression technology). There's a useful little tool, Alamy Size Checker, which you can download free form here:

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

...which helps if you have doubts.

I would guess this is a classic case of not understanding what uncompressed file size (Alamyspeak) means as compressed file sizes of 3-5MB are normal and could easily expand to >17MB depending on image content and degree of JPEG compression. I have only ever seen one person get the LR export wrong in all the times I've seen this question asked. So far inconclusive but I'm betting on the classic problem. Let's see.

Hi everyone...brand new here!

Im trying to upload some images and my file sizes are too small. I shoot in RAW and use Lightroom to process my images. Most of my images are not even close to 17MB uncompressed (3-5 MB compressed). Do i need to change a setting on my camera? How do i get my files that large? I shoot with a Nikon D700.

Thanks!

You are mistaken. Your uncropped RAW images from a 12MP camera are at least 36MB uncompressed.

It seems that Lightroom defaults to quality 60 in file settings section of the export settings.  Check that the slider is set to 100.  Here is more information.   Its not specific to alamy but shows the panel, ignore the image sizing info as you want to keep the original pixel size.   https://fstoppers.com/education/how-upload-high-quality-photos-facebook-and-fix-common-mistake-105378

It seems that Lightroom defaults to quality 60 in file settings section of the export settings.  Check that the slider is set to 100.  Here is more information.   Its not specific to alamy but shows the panel, ignore the image sizing info as you want to keep the original pixel size.   https://fstoppers.com/education/how-upload-high-quality-photos-facebook-and-fix-common-mistake-105378

The export file size is irrelevant.

Archived