You are right it is described as daisy like which means it could be one of thirty odd varieties. That is as close as I can get. :)  To be honest I have stopped making images of flowers I do not no the name of in advance It saves a lot of time on research.

Thanks very much. How about the little notches at the end of some of the petals visible in my image? Some pictures of the Doronicum orientale seem to show notches, but others don't.

That's not uncommon, John.  It could be a touch of frost damage to the bud.  D.orientale is fairly compact, to about 18inches high and has broadly spear shaped, serrated foliage.  I grew the cultivar 'Mrs Moon' years ago but it's failed to thrive in my current garden (soil too acid, probably).  Was your specimen in a garden or in the wild?

You are right it is described as daisy like which means it could be one of thirty odd varieties. That is as close as I can get. :)  To be honest I have stopped making images of flowers I do not no the name of in advance It saves a lot of time on research.

Agree, for shooting flowers, I now go in the botanical garden and make sure to take a photo of the name first ;) 

Thanks very much. How about the little notches at the end of some of the petals visible in my image? Some pictures of the Doronicum orientale seem to show notches, but others don't.

That's not uncommon, John.  It could be a touch of frost damage to the bud.  D.orientale is fairly compact, to about 18inches high and has broadly spear shaped, serrated foliage.  I grew the cultivar 'Mrs Moon' years ago but it's failed to thrive in my current garden (soil too acid, probably).  Was your specimen in a garden or in the wild?

According to Wikipedia, Doronicum orientale has "escaped cultivation" and has been found growing wild here in Canada. However, this specimen was tame -- i.e. in someone's garden.

It certainly looks as if Doronicum orientale (Leopard's Bane) is the most likely suspect. Thanks again. Without the expert Alamy Flower ID team (AFID team), I'd still be wandering aimlessly through fields of daisies. B)

Archived