Selective color?

In my opinion selective color is something more meaningful in printing product. I see more of this in fine art or similar where the artist show their personal interpretation, a "final product". Here client if need something like this probably prefers to do the work in a manner that suit their need. Just for say Betty; your initial example portrait of a dad and his baby. For the family the sunflower in color was wonderful; but a client can see more meaningful the photo with the baby or the baby and the dad in color and all the photo in B&W because the "concept" is the family. Subject can be too broad to cover with something that can be potentially good ma developed in a way that not serve what is in the mind of buyer. Another example that can be see all over in the web. A field of flowers with one in color, beautiful but... which flower then?; if you keep in "color" one in the center where the buyer want place a text? And so on. So Betty, my thought is to try in your FAA site, where people can buy what they like, without any desire to change it. Sorry for my poor english, hope I was able to explain my point of view.

With only 504 images keyworded "selective color" I would not go looking for it either. (If I were a client.)

wim

... and most of them don't seem to be selective color/colour, at least not as I understand it.

I thought this was selective colour/color.

With only 504 images keyworded "selective color" I would not go looking for it either. (If I were a client.)

wim

... and most of them don't seem to be selective color/colour, at least not as I understand it.

That would be my interpretation too.

wim

That would be my interpretation too.

Whoops! Now I see them. You have to click on the "Relevant" tab rather than "Creative" on the search results page. Hitting the Creative tab brings up all kinds of non-selective-colour images for some reason.

In my opinion selective color is something more meaningful in printing product. I see more of this in fine art or similar where the artist show their personal interpretation, a "final product". Here client if need something like this probably prefers to do the work in a manner that suit their need. Just for say Betty; your initial example portrait of a dad and his baby. For the family the sunflower in color was wonderful; but a client can see more meaningful the photo with the baby or the baby and the dad in color and all the photo in B&W because the "concept" is the family. Subject can be too broad to cover with something that can be potentially good ma developed in a way that not serve what is in the mind of buyer. Another example that can be see all over in the web. A field of flowers with one in color, beautiful but... which flower then?; if you keep in "color" one in the center where the buyer want place a text? And so on. So Betty, my thought is to try in your FAA site, where people can buy what they like, without any desire to change it. Sorry for my poor english, hope I was able to explain my point of view.

I don't do selective color for stock. And I agree it works better for fine art, if done well. The image for the family member with the colorful sunflower was for a young man of himself and his beloved niece. He is into different processing as a photographer himself, and I think he was quite surprised the image came from this old fogie (Me).

He had it printed and it now has a prominent position on his wall.

And yes, John, the image you presented is a perfect example of selective color.

Archived