Can I upload old RF images as RM?

Hi Folks,

I have been selling RF images in a microstock agency for some years now.

I am testing the RM model of license here to see if my images fit.

So, what I am doing is uploading fresh new images here as RM.

I hope you can help me with some questions about what I can, or can´t do now.

If I have uploaded an RF image, it never sold, I understand I can disable it as RF and upload it as RM, right?

If the image was sold, can I disable it from the other agency and upload it here as RM? RM-Exclusive? Can I do it as RF here?

I have been promoting my images in the social media, so, some of the images I used with a copyright logo in facebook, instagram, google+ and pinterest.

Can those images be uploaded here as RM? RM-Exclusive? RF?

Thanks for your insights.

Unsold images could be on someone's lightbox for months and eventually sell. So as I see it you couldn't put them up here until they were no longer available for licensing- at Alamy that's six months after deletion.

You've no control over how images on social media may have been used, so you certainly couldn't offer them as RM subsequently.

RF never sold can be offered as RM. RF sold cannot realistically be offered as RM since part of the reason for RM is to be able to offer exclusivity in use...you cannot do that in all good faith if it's previously sold as RF.

No problem with images that have been used in social media. As long as you've not licensed them in any way that would cause problems to consequent licensing. Agencies promote images on social media all the time.... it's called marketing and doesn't detract from licensing.

Unsold images could be on someone's lightbox for months and eventually sell. So as I see it you couldn't put them up here until they were no longer available for licensing- at Alamy that's six months after deletion.

You've no control over how images on social media may have been used, so you certainly couldn't offer them as RM subsequently.

Spacecadet, if I disable my images in the other agency they vanish from the lightboxes and all the website as well, so I am pretty safe they wont be available for selling anymore.

I cannot control the use of an image that I added in social, but they have a copyright logo, so they are not supposed to be copied, I didnt license them for somebody else´s use.

RF never sold can be offered as RM. RF sold cannot realistically be offered as RM since part of the reason for RM is to be able to offer exclusivity in use...you cannot do that in all good faith if it's previously sold as RF.

No problem with images that have been used in social media. As long as you've not licensed them in any way that would cause problems to consequent licensing. Agencies promote images on social media all the time.... it's called marketing and doesn't detract from licensing.

Thanks for the insight Geoff, so sold images I will use here as RF if RF images sell well in Alamy. I will use another post for that.

My thoughts exactly on the social media, but still have some doubts, specially if its possible to license them as RM-Exclusive.

Thanks for the insight Geoff, so sold images I will use here as RF if RF images sell well in Alamy. I will use another post for that.

My thoughts exactly on the social media, but still have some doubts, specially if its possible to license them as RM-Exclusive.

There's alread a thread on RF sales. If you look at the biggest trad agency (begins with same letter as my first name), you can embed RM images in social media (non-commercial) and they still license same images for exclusive uses - I would embed one of mine on here but I doubt Alamy would keep the post. Look at Facebook, agencies put up images on their Photography pages all the time.......

You can licence unsold RF images as RM, but I should be very cautious about doing so, in case RF sales do turn up later, as spacecadet suggests. I would study the terms and conditions on each microstock site carefully to see what they say about how long it may be that sales can occur after deactivation.

Just to make life more difficult, contributors on one well known microstock site have been up in arms recently about some unexpected royalties they received for images which were sold 'in a transaction that did not occur through the website'. Quite apart from the issue of how these sales mysteriously occurred outside the normal procedure, there were some instances where the images had been deacivated by the contributor some time ago, precisely because they did not now want them to be sold there. These unorthodox RF sales might now present them with problems regarding licences for their images which they have since sold in other places. Not a problem of their making, but one they are lumbered with dealing with.

As for the images on social media, I assume these are images you are using with a your copyright sign on sites which you control, purely to raise awareness of your work. This should not present a problem for subsequent RM sales. However, it would be quite different and problematic if such images were being used in publications belonging to someone other than yourself, which I feel is always a possibility, even if unauthorised, if they have been made available on social media sites.

Hi Folks,

If I have uploaded an RF image, it never sold, I understand I can disable it as RF and upload it as RM, right?

If the image was sold, can I disable it from the other agency and upload it here as RM? RM-Exclusive? Can I do it as RF here?

I have been promoting my images in the social media, so, some of the images I used with a copyright logo in facebook, instagram, google+ and pinterest.

Hello Alexandre,

I know you from a place indeed :). Some "Dreams" are not forever. Welcome to Alamy.

Mirco

Hi Folks,

Hello Alexandre,

I know you from a place indeed :). Some "Dreams" are not forever. Welcome to Alamy.

Mirco

Hi Mirco

You can licence unsold RF images as RM, but I should be very cautious about doing so, in case RF sales do turn up later, as spacecadet suggests. I would study the terms and conditions on each microstock site carefully to see what they say about how long it may be that sales can occur after deactivation.

Just to make life more difficult, contributors on one well known microstock site have been up in arms recently about some unexpected royalties they received for images which were sold 'in a transaction that did not occur through the website'. Quite apart from the issue of how these sales mysteriously occurred outside the normal procedure, there were some instances where the images had been deacivated by the contributor some time ago, precisely because they did not now want them to be sold there. These unorthodox RF sales might now present them with problems regarding licences for their images which they have since sold in other places. Not a problem of their making, but one they are lumbered with dealing with.

As for the images on social media, I assume these are images you are using with a your copyright sign on sites which you control, purely to raise awareness of your work. This should not present a problem for subsequent RM sales. However, it would be quite different and problematic if such images were being used in publications belonging to someone other than yourself, which I feel is always a possibility, even if unauthorised, if they have been made available on social media sites.

Thanks for your insights Joseph.

As Geoff mentioned, there's a thread about RF images you should check out. Alamy has licensed a fair number of RF images for me here; in fact they just licensed another one for me today (for $100) so your best bet may be to put your old RF images that you've removed from the micros on Alamy as RF. That way you don't have to worry about subsequent sales. Good luck here! 

As Geoff mentioned, there's a thread about RF images you should check out. Alamy has licensed a fair number of RF images for me here; in fact they just licensed another one for me today (for $100) so your best bet may be to put your old RF images that you've removed from the micros on Alamy as RF. That way you don't have to worry about subsequent sales. Good luck here! 

I think one of the problems he may have is that parts of people on the micros can go RF but can't on Alamy. Those would definitely have to be RM on Alamy.

Jill

I think one of the problems he may have is that parts of people on the micros can go RF but can't on Alamy. Those would definitely have to be RM on Alamy.

Jill

Good point, Jill. If that's the case, he might just want to leave those on the micros to avoid any problems and shoot new ones for Alamy. 

Jill

This makes sense, I can sell Editorial RF in the other agency, but not here. But that´s the only case, otherwise I could just sell them as RF here as well

Archived