I don't want to be rude either, and don't want to read too much into it as my first impression was to find this borderline insulting.

AMATEUR newcomers that come here almost every day and ask the same type of questions, here are a few pointers to help you.

1) At the very minimum use all the available resources that are already out there (previous forum posts (here and other forums), blogs, YouTube, KelbyOne etc.) to educate yourself enough to be able to produce something that is of both of professional quality and hopefully of some artistic/commercial value.

2) Stock libraries like Alamy is not the first port-of-call  to learn about photography, to learn how to produce technically sellable images. When you're ready you'll understand what the technical requirements mean. You know color management, sRGB vs aRGB1998, uncompressed TIFF vs a compressed jpeg, chromatic aberration, input sharpening, metadata, importance of model- and property releases etc. 

3) Please put in the grunt work, get knowledgeable, practise, practise, practise. And yes, you need more than "basic software on a laptop", a lot more. You most often need LR and PS and really know how to use them adequately. Nothing is handed out on a plate, no hand holding - but it is all out there on the internet - go learn, go practise.

ANYWAY:

The very simple steps to make sure your image is of adequate size to be uploaded to Alamy are...

1) Open image in Photoshop (it doesn't matter whether it is Jpeg, Tiff or Raw file that you're opening)

2) Make sure it is in 8-bit (if not change by going to Image --> Mode --> 8-bit)

3) At the same time press Ctrl Alt and I (three keys at the same time) - a box pops up - at the top it will state what your uncompressed image size is. It needs to be more than 17 M (mb) to be acceptable by Alamy.

OP, your question is answered fairly explicitly by the Alamy file size guidelines.

Bear in mind that although there is a lot of goodwill here, for the most part this forum is used by photographers who have been in the business for years or decades. myself included.

I had a lot to learn after starting on digital some years ago but by the time I started submitting to Alamy I didn't have to ask the sort of questions you are asking.

It feels like there has been an increase in asking of these absolutely basic fundamental questions. I'm all for open doors, answering questions, helping etc. but if you're not passionate enough to have educated yourself to at least a basic technical level, basic industry knowledge - what does that really say and what will they actually bring to Alamy?

I'm inclined to think that many of the people heading straight for stock photography (why??) would do themselves a bigger favour in the long run by focusing on flickr, general photoforums, public libraries, video courses (Kelby One etc.) and properly learn the craft before trying to earn money from it. Most likely they will just mastermind themselves killing their interest by not growing/evolving. For most photography is a vocation.

Anyway, just thinking out loud, offering my worthless 2 cents to the world.

I have long stopped trying to help these lazy individuals. I think it is something that Alamy seriously needs to grasp. If they can't get past Test QC in two attempts or if the first attempt is woeful they should be rejected. It would do us all, including Alamy, a favour. It's a waste of everybody's time.

It feels like there has been an increase in asking of these absolutely basic fundamental questions. I'm all for open doors, answering questions, helping etc. but if you're not passionate enough to have educated yourself to at least a basic technical level, basic industry knowledge - what does that really say and what will they actually bring to Alamy?

I'm inclined to think that many of the people heading straight for stock photography (why??) would do themselves a bigger favour in the long run by focusing on flickr, general photoforums, public libraries, video courses (Kelby One etc.) and properly learn the craft before trying to earn money from it. Most likely they will just mastermind themselves killing their interest by not growing/evolving. For most photography is a vocation.

Not a worthless 2 cents at all, I agree and so will most here. Sadly most amateurs are not that but 'pretend professionals' playing at it. Nothing wrong with a true amateur getting some basic skills and knowledge of contemporary photography, then pursuing personal projects based on their love of photography and the world around them. Unfortunately a lot think that earning a few quid is easy without getting any skill and the rest waste time in camera clubs trying to win worthless 'prizes'. (See my blog for a lot more on that one!) I think it's a all a great shame. I have given up huge amounts of my time over the years to help other budding photographers and don't begrudge a moment but only with the proviso that they are serious and work hard to help themselves as well. 

I agree with what you say Martin in this and in your previous post. I suspect though that the vast majority of people who head straight for stock photography without having some technical and industry knowledge will disappear in a relatively short time. Firstly they will struggle to get photos ready for submission and will suffer regular QC failures. Secondly, they will find that generating regular sales requires a lot of hard work over an extended period of time and there is no easy money to be made. And, as many people have said, taking the photographs is a small part of what is needed to be successful.

Archived