Hi folks,

I had a query from a young photographer yesterday about how much she should charge for an image she has taken of a singer on a vinyl album cover and half a dozen press release shots.  It is being used on an artist's first album by a UK Indie record label.  I tried the Alamy calculator but couldn't be as specific as I wanted.  Anyone with an idea or two would be welcome. I'd like to help her out.

With thanks,

Kathy

If I was in this situation, I'd look at the calculator from a certain other place (a place where sometimes, sometimes, the calculator is actually used to determine licensing price. . . and which does indeed have a pricing option for "audio product covers"), and being minimal with distribution (less than 1,000) and duration (1 year), I'd come up with a price of around 750 GBP. Given that in this case I'm not going to have to pay any commission to any agency, I'd probably ask around 550 GBP, making particular mention in my quote that it would cost them over 750 if they went to xxxx.

dd

Record covers don't seem very easy to price on web calculators. I tried the Big G and came up with nearly $2000, for a full page, 10,000 copies for ten years. Alamy seems to offer a maximum of  3 years, for only $545.

Maybe the best approach would be to ask the Art Director, or whoever normally licenses images for the company, what kind of budget they have for photos. Then the photographer can decide whether that amount is acceptable.

Archived