Access Copyright Canada

This conversation began on the "So, how was November?" thread, which I had managed to hijack. It's aimed at Canadians since Access Copyright is a reproduction rights organization for Canadian citizens only (How un-Canadian is that, eh?).

I'm thinking of applying for affiliation with Access Copyright. However, on the Access Copyright website it states that you cannot become an affiliate if you are affiliated with any other reproduction rights organization.

My question is, would that not include DACS?

Take a look here.

And here.

Check with them or with DACS - they may have reciprocal agreements.  If so, you could still get the DACS payments through Access Copyright.  From their FAQs....

If I'm Canadian, but am published primarily in the U.S. and U.K., is it still worth my while to affiliate?

Yes. Through reciprocal agreements with other reproduction rights organizations, Access Copyright affiliates are represented in other countries around the world, including the U.S. and U.K. These agreements ensure representation of Canadian authors and Canadian publications in other territories and also allow us to represent foreign publications in Canada.

Check with them or with DACS - they may have reciprocal agreements.  If so, you could still get the DACS payments through Access Copyright.  From their FAQs....

If I'm Canadian, but am published primarily in the U.S. and U.K., is it still worth my while to affiliate?

Yes. Through reciprocal agreements with other reproduction rights organizations, Access Copyright affiliates are represented in other countries around the world, including the U.S. and U.K. These agreements ensure representation of Canadian authors and Canadian publications in other territories and also allow us to represent foreign publications in Canada.

Thanks for the suggestion and info. DACS collects royalties for works published in the UK only. Access Canada is more international in its scope. It gets a bit confusing. Anyway, I've sent Access Canada an e-mail. Shall report back here.

In case anyone is interested, I heard back from Access Copyright and everything is cool. They don't have a bilateral agreement with DACS, so it's OK to register with both organizations. Dec. 31st is the cutoff for next year's annual payout.

In a similar vein, my DACS payment showed up today, and I was pleasantly surprised. It is much higher than last year's. Whoopee! Time to shop.

In case anyone is interested, I heard back from Access Copyright and everything is cool. They don't have a bilateral agreement with DACS, so it's OK to register with both organizations. Dec. 31st is the cutoff for next year's annual payout.

In a similar vein, my DACS payment showed up today, and I was pleasantly surprised. It is much higher than last year's. Whoopee! Time to shop.

How do they notify you? They had me fill in the form earlier this year. Email, simply a payment from paypal, or does it show up in your sales stats?

Jill

Before you sign up it might be a good idea to read their annual report.

For instance they have collected $20 million but have not distributed the money. Why no distribution?
They cannot find the copyright holders for $4 million of that money.

They formed a separate legal organization and moved some of the collected royalty money over to that organization. Why?

How are prices for use determined? What are the prices for use?

They represent both publishers and creators, so they may represent both sides of the deal. How do they handle the obvious conflict of interests between the parties?

How do they notify you? They had me fill in the form earlier this year. Email, simply a payment from paypal, or does it show up in your sales stats?

Jill

I haven't applied for affiliation with them yet, Jill. I believe that payment options are by cheque or direct deposit.

Check the FAQ's.

Jill

I haven't applied for affiliation with them yet, Jill. I believe that payment options are by cheque or direct deposit.

Check the FAQ's.

Hi John. I was actually talking about the DACS payment. Haven't checked out Access Copyright yet.

Jill

Jill

Check the FAQ's.

Hi John. I was actually talking about the DACS payment. Haven't checked out Access Copyright yet.

Jill

DACS was direct deposit. I got an e-mail from them two days ago saying that they were processing my claim, and it landed in my bank account today. Same process as last year. I filed the DACS claim myself (easy) rather than thru Alamy.

P.S. I think the DACS payment shows up in your account balance if you claimed thru Alamy.

Before you sign up it might be a good idea to read their annual report.

For instance they have collected $20 million but have not distributed the money. Why no distribution?
They cannot find the copyright holders for $4 million of that money.

They formed a separate legal organization and moved some of the collected royalty money over to that organization. Why?

How are prices for use determined? What are the prices for use?

They represent both publishers and creators, so they may represent both sides of the deal. How do they handle the obvious conflict of interests between the parties?

Pardon my dumbness, but how does this affect us? What other options do we have?

Archived