Help me, to improve my images.

hi everyone

I am new to Alamy with only couple of images approved. I would like to ask the forum to please help to improve my work, and shoot better images.

I use age old Canon 350d & 18-55mm lenses.

Photography is my hobby. I am a Mathematics Teacher by Profession.

I am from a very remote town named Junagadh - Gujarat - India.

I'll echo what Philippe has said. It's not the photos you need to work on, it's your keywording.

For example: F6X0F1

You've captioned it 'The Depressed Girl' however you've included Cheerful, Charming, Fresh and Funny as keywords. The image isn't any of those things.

Don't describe your photos like you would with a piece of art photography. I would caption your photo 'Young caucasian woman sitting against a wall with her head against her arms and her legs crossed'.

You must have accurate keywords.  If image views don't lead to zooms or sales you will over a period of time be penalised. This will mean your images will end up very low in search results. Think about the difference between being page 1 of Google or Page 35 and you will understand!

I appreciate English is probably not your native language however from your posts above you write well. So my advice would be:

1. Go through the Alamy Guideines for keywording and study the detail.
2. Then search the forum for keywording threads and read as many as you can. There is some really good information in those threads. 

Good luck!

I would second this - your pictures are very nice but review your key wording.

have a look at similar images that appear on a first page and how they are key worded.  

Thats the way I do now slowly with my pictures, as my keywords are not too good either. 

Thank for your all valuable tips. Successful keywording is the master key to sell images.

one more thing, if I am not annoying you people. Please feel free to critisize my images and do suggest ways to avoid the error and improve my work.

1. Keywords, description, etc... avoid copy them from others, take your time and do your work perfectly. As better you do it, the more chance someone will find and BUY what he's looking for and your ranking position will grow up. It's your work to do, if you do it in a slapdash way, you can not do it at all.

2. Composition (learn about photography in technical).

3. Light (learn about photography in technical).

4. Subject (most important thing right with the quality).

5. Try do something unique, leaves are not really saleable thing. With uploading poor subjects you waste time, server space and your ranking results. Avoid plenty similarities. 

6. You don't have to wonder anymore if quantity or quality first - both at the same time!

7. Think - predict ... why would anyone buy your image, how can he use it, why would he spend money on your work, what to do to sell it even better for more money, be smart observer and creator at the same time. Help clients make a story with your work.

Up here are seven secrets from me, how to make better sales with images.

I just want to add something....... :P

I see often being said that for example flowers or in Arletta case leaves dont sell. I know exactly what you mean Arletta. But in fact flowers or other subjects are selling. I see flower images everywhere. Magazines, books, walls and campaigns. The same counts for autumn leaves. The better way to say is that the subject is well covered and that your chance of a sale is smaller for individual contributor. Alamy itself is selling for sure lots of flower photos.

The weather is bad here so i have to make some comments :blink: .

Mirco

Nice little thoughts and suggestions. I really appreciate for such support.

I think the best way for someone like me is to shoot conceptual images.

Thank you very much for allotting your precious time to guide someone like me.

Mirco, flowers and plants sell but they must be good quality first. And this is why perfect description and keywords are so very important. And variety - keep in mind the variety. Actually my best sellers are the fine art style images (used on novel book cover) or the most unique plants, not well covered yet. I know some plants in specific season period where are 0-100 images on stock agencies only ;) Most photographers don't care about herbal or culinary plants, hard to find or to photograph it. Most preffer to take a photo of just leaves in the park. I hope you get the difference now ;)

And if someone is going to flood collection with very poor light or subject hundreds of leaves images, I'd suggest consider the idea again. 

I took the shot of flower or leaves only because there was nothing to shoot on that particular day. Normally flowers/leaves are not my likings. it just happen that those shots were approved. What about the kid sitting near a wall or boy with camera. Need your valuable suggestions on that too.

Mirco, flowers and plants sell but they must be good quality first. And this is why perfect description and keywords are so very important. And variety - keep in mind the variety. Actually my best sellers are the fine art style images (used on novel book cover) or the most unique plants, not well covered yet. I know some plants in specific season period where are 0-100 images on stock agencies only ;) Most photographers don't care about herbal or culinary plants, hard to find or to photograph it. Most preffer to take a photo of just leaves in the park. I hope you get the difference now ;)

And if someone is going to flood collection with very poor light or subject hundreds of leaves images, I'd suggest consider the idea again.

I took the shot of flower or leaves only because there was nothing to shoot on that particular day. Normally flowers/leaves are not my likings. it just happen that those shots were approved. What about the kid sitting near a wall or boy with camera. Need your valuable suggestions on that too.

Hi Mirzamlk,

I have to support what others have said: you must redo your keywords or get help to do so.  My native language is English, yet I have suffered in terms of sales (and continue to suffer) partly as a result of inappropriate keywording. In the medium-long term it will seriously damage your ranking and sales if you do not do so. I speak from experience! ;)

I passed through Junagadh on my way to Sasan Gir back in 1991! In fact, I have a very good slide buried somewhere of a train guard waving his flag at the station (steam train)!  The relevant point photographically being that there is much more to shoot in the area or in the Gir NP than leaves!  Use your local knowledge of the area to get you good images - you can go a long way with a basic 'kit' lens: 95% of my images on here have been shot with the same Canon 18-55mm lens that you have.

Perhaps turn the tables and do what the tourists have been doing to Indian nationals for years: take pictures of them!  I am sure that many visit the NP or perhaps you can take a trip down to Diu and take images of the beaches or tourists in cafes / restaurants / visiting temples / buying products in shops and markets?  If you are able to visit the NP and get some pictures of the wildlife (Asian lions, various deer, birds, etc.) then so much the better, but you will of course need access to a longer lens and some time and patience...

I believe that your images of the depressed girl and the boy with the camera have potential (others will be able to guide you better here) - but sort the keywords out!

I am sure that others far more knowledgeable and experienced than I will be able to guide you further.  Best of luck. :)

Hi Mirzamlk,

I have to support what others have said: you must redo your keywords or get help to do so. My native language is English, yet I have suffered in terms of sales (and continue to suffer) partly as a result of inappropriate keywording. In the medium-long term it will seriously damage your ranking and sales if you do not do so. I speak from experience! ;)

I passed through Junagadh on my way to Sasan Gir back in 1991! In fact, I have a very good slide buried somewhere of a train guard waving his flag at the station (steam train)! The relevant point photographically being that there is much more to shoot in the area or in the Gir NP than leaves! Use your local knowledge of the area to get you good images - you can go a long way with a basic 'kit' lens: 95% of my images on here have been shot with the same Canon 18-55mm lens that you have.

Perhaps turn the tables and do what the tourists have been doing to Indian nationals for years: take pictures of them! I am sure that many visit the NP or perhaps you can take a trip down to Diu and take images of the beaches or tourists in cafes / restaurants / visiting temples / buying products in shops and markets? If you are able to visit the NP and get some pictures of the wildlife (Asian lions, various deer, birds, etc.) then so much the better, but you will of course need access to a longer lens and some time and patience...

I believe that your images of the depressed girl and the boy with the camera have potential (others will be able to guide you better here) - but sort the keywords out!

I am sure that others far more knowledgeable and experienced than I will be able to guide you further. Best of luck. :)

Glad to hear that you visited my city. Now a days we don't have steam engines. But trains are running on diesel engine. I agree with you to turn the tables. Though 18-55mm have some limitation but it sure gives good images. Do be my guest if next time you come to Junagadh.

Mirza Malik

You already have technical skill and a style that seems to come naturally. The compositions look good, as well as the concepts. I like F74YJH among others. My only advice is to simply apply your skills and your own style to photograph a larger variety of just about anything that is of interest to you.  

Thank you very much dear friend for the all important suggestions. I was little bit worried about the technicality, composition and style.... coz I am new to this field don't have much knowledge. But you have just motivated me. Sure I will try to shoot wide variety of subject. Though learning to use natural light to full advantage.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Malik

Archived