Number of people in photo maybe misleading

Charles Stirling

I've just been keywording again and the requirement / need to tick the boxes for number of people in the photo seems a bit dysfunctional for a customer. Some have people as tiny, easily missed, sets of a few pixels but each needs to be counted for Alamy. Anyone using that number essentially gets false results, they probably want at least representations which are recognizable.

Wouldn't it be better to add another box saying “any people present” to control the need for releases, then the numbers boxes to eventually mean something a bit more recognizable so a customer wanting say 3 people can actually find them.

Not a new topic in the forums - just the first two threads found in a Google search - Google's is better than Alamy's search for older threads:

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/2176-number-of-people-in-images/

http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/194-workflow-number-of-people-in-photos/

From the point of view of a buyer they might have a very strong view of the sort of image they want to buy. So being able to select how many people would really help. For example if you are looking for a picture of two people walking on a deserted beach, having results returned ranging from one person on a beach to a crowded beach doesn't help matters. It helps to make the search as easy as possible.

From the point of view of a buyer they might have a very strong view of the sort of image they want to buy. So being able to select how many people would really help. For example if you are looking for a picture of two people walking on a deserted beach, having results returned ranging from one person on a beach to a crowded beach doesn't help matters. It helps to make the search as easy as possible.

This is what I would assume, but since any even tiny representation of a person is counted, the beach might have two dominant people and a few more way off in the distance. Not going to help the buyer find the image I suspect, but could do if handled differently.

This is one thing that really bothers me, but we are stuck with it. You are absolutely right, a photo of, for example, my wife and son doing something in a city should be two people. But if there is a streetful of people behind, all tiny, then it has to be marked as more than four. This can be bad for buyers both ways. The buyers who wants a scene with more than four people will be annoyed that my wife and son pic has come up in the search. And the buyer who wants a picture of a woman and her child in a city and searches for pictures with two people won't get to see loads that are labelled as more than four people. We need to be able to tell buyers how many people are the subject of the photo, not just how many are present.

And Alamy, if you read this, please try to resolve this glaring problem with accurate photo description. We put lots of time and effort into key wording. Can't you give us another tick box - one to say how many people there are in total including pixel size dots and incidental passers by another to say how many people are the subject of the picture.

• 2 months later...

This is one thing that really bothers me, but we are stuck with it. You are absolutely right, a photo of, for example, my wife and son doing something in a city should be two people. But if there is a streetful of people behind, all tiny, then it has to be marked as more than four. This can be bad for buyers both ways. The buyers who wants a scene with more than four people will be annoyed that my wife and son pic has come up in the search. And the buyer who wants a picture of a woman and her child in a city and searches for pictures with two people won't get to see loads that are labelled as more than four people. We need to be able to tell buyers how many people are the subject of the photo, not just how many are present.

And Alamy, if you read this, please try to resolve this glaring problem with accurate photo description. We put lots of time and effort into key wording. Can't you give us another tick box - one to say how many people there are in total including pixel size dots and incidental passers by another to say how many people are the subject of the picture.

Totally agree.... time for contributors and buyers is wasted for no real end. Two boxes are needed one for legal, the other for actually relevant people. Perhaps soon Alamy can implement artificial intelligence for such searches. You know how social sites like FaceBook, or Google +, as well as Flickr can identify your friends by name. Potential buyers could presumably search by number of people, find similar images to samples they upload, search by age etc. No need to waste peoples time at all really filling out forms of dubious value. For now though... argh!

Archived