File size to large or what to do next?

I'm confused. They say 17meg or larger so I set my jpegs at around 12 and now they say they are too large and I need to be below 10 megs?  Do I delete the first set and reload another smaller set?

Thanks Philippe.. I'm finding out quickly that this sizing business is a chronic problem here and I teach a Photoshop class!   I understand the difference between pixel dimensions and pixel/file size.  Here's where I'm still confused... when I uploaded my four starter images only one went through at 3 megs.  The other three were too large (they were around 12 megs compressed).  So how on Earth are folks getting super large images through here (Up to 200 megabytes!).  When I go back and reopen my under 10 meg compressed jpeg files in Photoshop that I will be uploading they are an average of 18 megs in size which is what the customers will be buying.  

Just curious why they don't allow TIFF files with are a much better file option.  This day and age file size shouldn't even be an issue.  And some sites have auto resizing so the files are corrected for the upload sizes.  There's definitely a learning curve with this site!  BTW I have a Nikon D810 and would prefer the files be larger than 18 megs when the customer buys my photos.

Thanks for your input!

Hi Jill.. that's it!  The uploader refused to upload my files because they were around 12 megs in size so I had to delete the files even though they made it past quality control and re-size them and re-upload them and get them re-approved and re-insert all the info on each image once again.  I spent hours on this so far.   They finally made it to the next stage today, but now there s another approval process before the actually get listed for sale. Seems like a lot of rules, steps and approvals before one even gets their photos actually on the site!  We'll see how it goes, I might end up using one of the other sites if its going to take this long just to get four shots online for sale.

I had to delete the files even though they made it past quality control

If they made it past quality control they must have been uploaded . . . or do you not mean Alamy Quality Control?

dd

Hi Jill.. that's it!  The uploader refused to upload my files because they were around 12 megs in size so I had to delete the files even though they made it past quality control and re-size them and re-upload them and get them re-approved and re-insert all the info on each image once again.  I spent hours on this so far.   They finally made it to the next stage today, but now there s another approval process before the actually get listed for sale. Seems like a lot of rules, steps and approvals before one even gets their photos actually on the site!

There is only one approval stage and that is QC. If your files were accepted by QC then the next stage is to keyword and they are on sale.

Please can you provide screenshots? Upload to Photobucket or similar and then paste the links here.

Michael

Hi Jill.. that's it!  The uploader refused to upload my files because they were around 12 megs in size so I had to delete the files even though they made it past quality control and re-size them and re-upload them and get them re-approved and re-insert all the info on each image once again.  I spent hours on this so far.   They finally made it to the next stage today, but now there s another approval process before the actually get listed for sale. Seems like a lot of rules, steps and approvals before one even gets their photos actually on the site!  We'll see how it goes, I might end up using one of the other sites if its going to take this long just to get four shots online for sale.

I'm with dustydingo here. If they already made it past qc (you said they had to be approved again), then they just should have been in your Manage Images where you put in all your keywords, fill in your attriubtes, etc. Then they will go on sale on the next site update which is usually in the mornings.

There is no other approval outside of QC. That's it. But they don't go on sale until you do all your keywording, etc. As I mentioned, you shouldn't have any trouble uploading 12mb files at all. Some of mine are 15-18mb at times.

So a little confused on what you are saying.

Jill 

Hi Jill.. maybe they are nearly ready for sale?  I just expected them to instantly appear in the sale list but they are going through one more step it appears?  I'll see tomorrow whether or not they finally made it!  It may have something to do with it being my first group of images?

Hi dd..   they made it past CQ but the uploader refused to accept them saying they were too large.

John..that Almay Size Check Program rules!  It found at least 20 images that had various incorrect profiles and other various problems. I corrected all 50 of them!  Now we'll see if anything actually gets listed for sale and I can finally retire in about 1000 years!  Cheers!

Hi dd.. they made it past CQ but the uploader refused to accept them saying they were too large.

They cannot pass QC if the uploader refused to accept them.

In other words, they must have been uploaded for QC to see them.

I think a re-read of Jill's post might be in order.

dd

Mr Spider  appears to have five images on sale. This means he must have uploaded at least two submissions, so I'm guessing his first one passed QC, and the second one did also but the uploader rejected some of the submitted images for size. This is probably the reason for the confusion.

Alan

Archived