On line Alamy high res images

Thanks to Google Images I found this photo of mine sold through Alamy in Conde Nast Traveler and showing a view of Andorra's capital.I got almost shocked in discovering they published my purchased image in high res format: 7360x4912. Also the others photos reported in their slideshow are in high res size, incredibly! It takes nothing to download them and make  any use, even re sell them! How can we be protected by such unfair use?  :(

Link: http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-01-28/what-to-do-in-europes-smallest-countries-vatican-malta-faroe-liechtenstein

Stefano

no its 5122 × 3414

km

???

I took a look at the Faroe's one - it is 2048 * 1152

Michael

That's what I see

Anyhoo...straying off the point a little.  Still oversized for what is likely a paltry return.

Thanks to Google Images I found this photo of mine sold through Alamy in Conde Nast Traveler and showing a view of Andorra's capital.I got almost shocked in discovering they published my purchased image in high res format: 7360x4912. Also the others photos reported in their slideshow are in high res size, incredibly! It takes nothing to download them and make  any use, even re sell them! How can we be protected by such unfair use?  :(

Link: http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-01-28/what-to-do-in-europes-smallest-countries-vatican-malta-faroe-liechtenstein

Stefano

4912x7360 indeed. They must have put them up like they got them. Maybe at a bit lower quality. Everything else is just as the client gets it from Alamy.

- Including some fierce CA, Stipe ;-)

What to do about it? First of all the copyright info is still in tact, so that's a relief. Good policing I would say. Google images is your friend.

If someone has Google's ear,  maybe suggest that they set up Google alerts for images like they have for other searches.

wim

Look on the bright side.

If these high rez images migrate around the web without a copyright payment, Alamy should be able to track the violations down with Picscout. Alamy should then extract a payment, that Alamy will share with you.

This month another library, whose name cannot be mentioned on this forum, has informed me that they will be paying me $350 for a single violation. $350 after deducting both the picscout fee and the libraries standard commission from the gross settlement.

If you steal my images be prepared to pay the fee, as Picscout will find you. Using Picscout, stolen images can become a profit centre.

Look on the bright side.

If these high rez images migrate around the web without a copyright payment, Alamy should be able to track the violations down with Picscout. Alamy should then extract a payment, that Alamy will share with you.

This month another library, whose name cannot be mentioned on this forum, has informed me that they will be paying me $350 for a single violation. $350 after deducting both the picscout fee and the libraries standard commission from the gross settlement.

If you steal my images be prepared to pay the fee, as Picscout will find you. Using Picscout, stolen images can become a profit centre.

My concern would be you would find it very hard to detect non internet uses.

I remember the story of a very good Landscape photographer who made some fairly high res files available as Creative Commons Non Commercial on Flickr. They found a 'Bricks and Mortar' Gallery selling prints and Canvases from their images. 

I think there is definitely an issue here in that there is no good reason for what is essentially the original file to be displayed. This is well above even what a 5K can handle.

OP - I would drop Member Services an email about this. 

I would also be Google Reverse Image and Tineye searching each month.

Michael

Archived